The Silent Killer | Teen Ink

The Silent Killer

By Ali El Hajj-Younes BRONZE, Lawndale, California
Ali El Hajj-Younes BRONZE, Lawndale, California

Golden locks draped over the young man’s crystalline blue orbs as he took the hand of his lover gently. A shallow sigh escaped the confines of his lips as he began to utter the words which would lead to a heart-thrashing breakup. Suddenly, the young woman sitting next to him retrieved her hand, sending a confused expression towards the golden-haired youth. His gaze slowly shifted to the ground, knowing full well what was going to happen next.

“Why are you doing this to me? We’ve dated for five months.” She asked with eyes full of anxiety. Her desperation for knowledge was becoming more obvious by the coming seconds. Another sigh found itself being released from the man’s mouth, realizing he had to tell her the truth.

“You don’t talk to me. I don’t know anything about you. You’re a stranger to me” , he said with a trickle of despair in his voice. Without warning, the young woman’s right hand whizzed through the space between the two, making contact with her ex-boyfriend’s cheek. In one swift movement, she turned and ran away, eyes bottled with hot, salty droplets of tears. A crimson mark was left lurking upon the man’s face as if it were a badge of humiliation.

The young woman was furious was her ex lover; she did not see anything coming. The young man had to end it because he felt as if the relationship was stuck in neutral. The lovers did not know what to do, they did not communicate. If they had, the outcome of their relationship may have been different. Any medium can be used. Whether it be through technology or in person. A simple talk can further a relationship greatly. Without communication, the bond can be shattered. It is because of communication that a relationship can work.