Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By SpaceKing800, Glen Rock, NJ

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

12 comment(s)
LittleRedDeliriousPrince
I agree with the opinions stated more than I have ever agreed with anything before. I've never had as much homework as you had listed at the beginning of the article, but some nights I've felt it's overwhelming trying to even fathom how I could finish so much in a night. Sometimes I have resolved to not doing any homework at all some nights because school can give me a headache sometimes, what with a bunch of projects and worksheets and at least one test every week....but most of the time I don't mind. Teachers are just trying to try to educate us as best they can.
Apr. 17, 2015 at 11:43 AM • Report
jerome
I feel like home is great, due to the fact that it teaches kids and teens to be more responsible. Yet it's stressfull it teaches kids how to cope with it in real life. In reality people have to learn to do things that they don't like, and Home work teaches kids more about the subject that they cannot learn in a class. So in general HW is a good thing in the end.
Mar. 08, 2015 at 8:16 AM • Report
Sophiab2356
I think that this essay depends on the school. I also find some of the facts questionable.
Feb. 06, 2015 at 12:10 PM • Report
Kaydie
That is call hitting the nail on the head,Someone's got to speak up.Sometimes m,I spend my night doing assignments and hardly get some sleep.The next day,I am supposed to go back to school and spend over ten hours learning,Very soon,students will develop hypertension,This article shouldn't just end here but it must become a must read for educational institutions worldwide.
Sep. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM • Report
irena23
I think it honestly depends on the homework being assigned. I agree that some homework is unecessary and tedious, but without it we wouldn't be able to actually apply the concepts taught during school.
May. 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM • Report
deepthi
A tight schedule of homework may spoil the child psychologically and physically.Firstly child has to play for certain hours after school in order to get relaxation and to keep them fit.Secondly, a chid has to sleep for more than 8 hrs a day to be mentally fit and for a stress free life.Finally the child has to allot certain time for its hobbies.But a tight schedule of homework does not give time for all the above activities.So surely a homework revolutin should be made for the welfare of the children
Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:47 AM • Report
The_Typewriter
If people are complaining about homework, I just have to wonder what they would say with my life. I have 5+ hours of homework every night, get home at 5 pm, and leave for school at 6:50 am. Then I rarely go to sleep before 1 am. Going to sleep at 11 pm is nearly impossible. And it is a "good" night if I'm asleep at midnight. This also excludes everything that a normal high schooler would want to do with their life: write, draw, participate in theatre productions, attend debate meets, do sports, participate in competitions, etc. If you think you have it hard, please put it into perspective.
Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM • Report
ms._sosa
omg when i read this it was like i don't even have that much homework byt others schools do so i should appreciate what i got
Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM • Report
ALenny
Great writing, but once you hit yr 12 like me you'll be greatful that you were prepared for the long days. I average 6 hours of homework 6 hours of school and 4 hours of extracurricular activities a day, I'm glad that there was a gradual build up. Wonderful piece of work though.
Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:31 AM • Report
Artgirl1999
Great writing! I'm homeschooled, so all my schoolwork is homework. I'm in 7th grade too, and i do about four hours' worth of schoolwork every day. You guys do eight! This reminded me how glad I am that I'm homeschooled!!!
Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM • Report
Close