15 Questions with Seth from The Huhger | Teen Ink

15 Questions with Seth from The Huhger

By uniqueness SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
uniqueness SILVER, Chandler, Arizona

Seth is the lead vocalist for the hot Las Vegas band The Higher. Their newest album, It’s Only Natural, debuts June 23rd. I got a chance to talk with Seth about the band’s journey, unique sound and more.

1.
What does your band name mean?
When we were young when we first started the band in high school, we were called September Star. The name never really fit us; it was a name that was put to us. Once we got signed and had a record, we listened to songs we were writing and at the time they related to lots of metaphors, lots of sky. We were trying to keep doing what we love and get higher up on the food chain to become a bigger and better band. We felt like the name, The Higher, fit so many different aspects. And even now, it means more and more to us.

2.
How do you feel about your new tour?
Really excited. We’ve been waiting patiently for the record to drop, to leave home and go back. We were touring for two and a half years, had a break these past six months working on the record, now we’re excited for the road.

3.
When do you decide you wanted to be a professional musician?
I never really decided, it kind of decided me. I was doing it to have fun in high school, playing shows and loving music. The fans responded more and more and as things went on, that was what we needed to. Little did I know not many boys could sing. We started to work and got bigger. Now I know that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

4.
What do you think are the main ingredients for a successful band?
You’ve got to have the right guys. Everyone has to get along. Everyone has opinions, but you have to agree to disagree and find people that accept you. You have to be able to work together, in a non-hostile environment. And of course, you need the right songs. Well written songs speak for themselves. You’ve got to respect talent.

5.
Can you describe your songwriting process?
Sometimes we start with riffs or the bass. Sometimes we get an idea and then write lyrics or we form the notes that sound best around them. We never write the song the same way, it’s always different.

6.
What inspires The Higher’s original look and sound?
All of us are different musicians. We listen to different stuff, but we have the same common interests. We take style from rock, pop, R&B, funk, ballads, guitar driven, or lyrically driven music. Not a lot of bands have the same sound, so we’re adding a little more. I think, especially in our latest album, we did a great job tying it all together.

7.
Choose one word to describe each band member.
Doug is passionate. He looks like tough guy, but he loves music and his girlfriend, Dunkin Donuts and Boston Celtics.
Jason is emotional. He’s the guy who can jump from different personalities, from emo to life of party. He’s one of the oldest guys, but he’s like an emotional baby.
Reggie is the partier, the socializer. He’s the networker who’s out every night, in hot clubs in Vegas. He’s really friendly and easy to get along with. He’s just fun to have around.

8.
Outside of music, what are you into?
All of us are really active and into sports, which is weird, because not many bands are into sports. Most of them play videogames but we don’t. After a show, we’ll be up watching Sports Center and we can’t wait to get off stage to see what the scores are. I’m actually going to watch the NBA finals after this interview.

9.
What artists do you look up to?
Justin Timberlake is a big influence. When around 50% of the songs we cover are N*Sync and Justin Timberlake, you can tell we’re all fans. A lot of people say we sound very similar and I can see why. I’m like the voice of Justin, but we collectively put the aspects together. I also like Michael Jackson and Billy Joel, which is the blast from the past. There’s a lot of influence from rock and old Queen tunes. I listen to a lot of R&B. I just love the melody and style. R Kelly records are great. If our band could work with any producer, we would love to work with the Dream.

10.
What are your favorite songs on the album and what inspired them?
“It’s Only Natural” is a great song. I love it. It’s also our single so it’s going to be the most played out.
“Undertaker” is the most diverse change to our band on this record. It’s more rock and hip hop with a little funk vibe and more R&B. It’s a song all about Vegas, it reps Vegas.
“Play with Fire” has a Michael Jackson influence. It’s a soul song, our version of “Dirty Diana.” It’s about a girl who thinks she can get whatever she wants.
“Lady in the Black Dress” is about hitting on a girl because you’re both going through hard times, grieving someone who’s dead. It’s about finding life and living it to the fullest. It’s very different from our usual sound, more swing ballad and a very powerful pop song.

11.
What do you like/dislike about becoming a celebrity?
I like that people can appreciate good music. I enjoy playing music for a living. It’s a dream and a blessing. Every day, I feel so lucky to have supportive fans loving our music. Sometimes, it’s not so great with a long treacherous tour away from family and friends. The show time is great, those three hours are awesome, but the six to seven hours driving to next town isn’t always fun. But we keep a positive head on our shoulders, stay busy in van, and watch every TV show possible.

12.
What’s something you won’t do for fame?
Never give up writing our songs. We would be open to writing songs with other people, though we mostly write all the music ourselves, other than covers which are fun. I don’t think we’ll ever be band that just does songs by other people. We always strive to make original songs by The Higher. That’s what makes us special.

13.
What advice do you have for teens interested in the music business or what’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
Stop worrying where you are. Keep practicing and writing songs that you think will make you better. What makes you get noticed is writing a good song that people hear. Always keep practicing, writing, making music, and eventually you’ll make something that will bring out who you are. It’s all about the company you keep, so make sure you and your band get along.

14.
If you could be a superhero, who would you be?
I would want to be like Spiderman. Spiderman is one of my favorite comics. He may not be most dominating or coolest, but he can practically fly with his web. He’s almost indestructible and can do whatever he wants, but he’s still human and a normal guy. I would want to be able to still be normal and powerful.

15.
Is there anything else you want to say to your fans?
Come out June 23 and pick up It’s Only Natural. We can’t wait to start our tour and hope you come see us wherever we play. Thanks!