Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

John Takes Both This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Zachary B., Rockwall, TX

Sounds of constant traffic and busy sidewalks roared throughout the park. To any other man this would be the worst environment for thinking, but for John, the rainbow of noises was the perfect escape.

“Sir, would you like ketchup or mustard?”

John wasn’t an average man. He was average to the extent that he put his pants on one leg at a time, but with John, the problem wasn’t putting on his pants. To any other person, John would have been categorized in the “one heck of a lucky kid” group. John was the son of two entrepreneurs. So naturally, he had been raised to become somewhat of a Renaissance man. He had attended the best schools and was instructed by the best tutors. He had had the best coaches for every sport and had always been the star player.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

12 comment(s)
wanderingminds
This story was perfect. Amazing work!
Apr. 26, 2015 at 1:21 AM • Report
ellwist
Absolutely flawless.
Apr. 04, 2015 at 6:04 AM • Report
RedPhoenix
This is epic. Great job!
Feb. 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM • Report
RedHadan
really good! I like the concept.
Jan. 28, 2015 at 3:47 PM • Report
conman873
GREAT ending! And Dr. Seus?! I love it!
Jun. 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM • Report
conman873
Actually no...Odysseus! Is that because John is on a quest for his own version of success? Does it represent something else?
Jun. 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM • Report
freeday15
Wow! I honestly was not expecting that... at all! It really grabbed my attention. I love this piece, it's brilliant work.
Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM • Report
Pseudonym329
OK, I really need ideas dor a WWII play/movie and if anyone here has one, could they please post it as a comment on one of my articles? I know it might seem random to put/read, but I can't think of anything. I promise that if I choose your idea, or even if you submit an idea, I will let you know, and I will read it. If I like yours, I'll put your name on the credits, and I'll send the link to you (or I'll try anyways). Please, thank you, and I hope you have ideas!!!!!!!!
Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM • Report
xelawriter97
Terrific job! This hooked me right from the beginning. John is one of the most likable characters I've ever read.
Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM • Report
CDHLegend
This may be the best story I have ever heard in my life Thank you
Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM • Report
Close