Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Defying Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By awesomeaugust, Boston, MA

I didn't want to like him. He was just so charming.

This might sound like every other love story, and it may be, but it may not. If you don't read on, you'll never know.

My name is Emily Brown, which I've always been quite happy with. I think it makes me sound pleasant but ordinary, and I prefer to blend in. Now, I suppose it's only polite to tell you a bit about myself before I jump into my story. I am five feet, two inches, have brown hair that comes to my shoulders, and I am not talented in any special way. These are the basic facts of me, and I think these are all I ought to tell you.

His name was Andrew Rivers and he was perfectly wonderful in every way. When he first came to my school in twelfth grade, he was a bit eccentric and didn't fit in right away.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

39 comment(s)
I really liked it....it was really good... :) :)
Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:26 PM • Report
I felt like crying... It was great, beautiful,Osm and...sad of course... But I luvd it.. :) :)
Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM • Report
Can't describe in words how good it was...:) :)
Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM • Report
Amazing piece of work ya got there!!!
Jun. 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM • Report
There's something so real and true and heartbreaking about Emily and Andrew's interaction after college--the bittersweet pain of having someone you loved become a person you no longer love.
Apr. 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM • Report
I like the simplicity and the uniqueness. Keep up the good work!!
Apr. 26, 2015 at 5:48 PM • Report
Beautiful, honest, simple. I loved it.
Feb. 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM • Report
This is a beautiful piece of writing. I love the characters and plot. You did a fantastic job:)
Jan. 09, 2015 at 10:03 PM • Report
WOW! That was amazing!!
Oct. 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM • Report
oh dear jesus that was amazing...
Oct. 03, 2014 at 8:27 AM • Report