Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Defying Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By awesomeaugust, Boston, MA

I didn't want to like him. He was just so charming.

This might sound like every other love story, and it may be, but it may not. If you don't read on, you'll never know.

My name is Emily Brown, which I've always been quite happy with. I think it makes me sound pleasant but ordinary, and I prefer to blend in. Now, I suppose it's only polite to tell you a bit about myself before I jump into my story. I am five feet, two inches, have brown hair that comes to my shoulders, and I am not talented in any special way. These are the basic facts of me, and I think these are all I ought to tell you.

His name was Andrew Rivers and he was perfectly wonderful in every way. When he first came to my school in twelfth grade, he was a bit eccentric and didn't fit in right away.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

36 comment(s)
Hails_Was_Here
Amazing piece of work ya got there!!!
Jun. 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM • Report
RationalIdealist
There's something so real and true and heartbreaking about Emily and Andrew's interaction after college--the bittersweet pain of having someone you loved become a person you no longer love.
Apr. 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM • Report
Beck-Beck
I like the simplicity and the uniqueness. Keep up the good work!!
Apr. 26, 2015 at 5:48 PM • Report
Ray--yo
Beautiful, honest, simple. I loved it.
Feb. 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM • Report
aquamarine1745
This is a beautiful piece of writing. I love the characters and plot. You did a fantastic job:)
Jan. 09, 2015 at 10:03 PM • Report
JustAnotherTanLeggedredneck
WOW! That was amazing!!
Oct. 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM • Report
crazy.crazy.demon
oh dear jesus that was amazing...
Oct. 03, 2014 at 8:27 AM • Report
sweetpea1308
This story was good! I like how the characters where made out. One thing in your writing to watch was when you said, "It wasn't until...". Be careful with this because you said it a few times in the story. Over all I enjoyed it! Please keep writing and reading.
Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:49 AM • Report
slb126
When he said "music." I wanted to cry! This is beautiful.
Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM • Report
samwich7
I went on here for the first time in years and this was in my favorites so I clicked on it and wow. It's amazing and beautiful and really phenomenal writing. Perfect.
Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:02 PM • Report
Close