Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

I Should Switch to Decaf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By mercantile, New Gloucester, ME

I want to like coffee for you.

I hate coffee. I hate the taste, I hate the smell, I hate the way people get artificially addicted to it, like it's a trend. People joke about needing coffee to function. It's stupid until you see them without coffee – then it's ugly.

But for you, I'm going to try. I've obviously tasted coffee, but I've never sat down and just drunk it. I'm going to. I'm going to brave the nasty smell and bitter taste and silly stereotypes. Just for you! I'm not sure why. I barely know you. In fact, I've never actually met you. We're meeting for coffee. I've never met someone for coffee. It's so normal and casual. It's so wild and strange. Everyone meets people for coffee. It's nothing extraordinary.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

9 comment(s)
I love it! I like how you used something simple and used it as an outline for a love story. It's great!
Jul. 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM • Report
Coffee is an underused metaphor for life. I love how you rocked it--and how you rocked your use of the stream-of-consciousness technique.
Apr. 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM • Report
This will happen to me someday. I despise coffee. I love this, its riciculously, accuratetly hilarious.
Dec. 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM • Report
This is just really cool. I've tried writing in 2nd person before, but it just doesn't work out for me. That's something I need to work on, I guess. Anyway, I'm liking what you've done with this. Good job.
Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM • Report
It's a good story, but I was wondering- is coffee as the narrator describes it a metaphor for life?
Apr. 06, 2014 at 5:18 PM • Report
I love it. It's amazing, really. I love the swiftness of the story, the way everything seems so smooth and natural. The plot isn't forced, it runs its course like a river. It makes it real.
Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM • Report
I absolutely loved this story! I could really connect with it :) Check out some of my stories and leave a comment? Every comment and rating means A LOT to me! Thanks!
Jan. 05, 2013 at 9:43 PM • Report
I love the correlation the narrator makes between coffee and and her situation. :)
Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM • Report
Whoa! Amazing metaphor!  
Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM • Report