Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Mmbusch, Fox River Grove, IL

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
TimeTraveller
Lol. I used to be the biggest HM fan ever and I never get sad over how she is now because she introduced me to music and composing songs - which helped me through hard times. I think people overreact a lot to her transforming from a good teen icon to someone totally different. She just grew up, matured and began making different music. Yes, she has made some mistakes in life but hey, don't we all change and make mistakes in life? It's not something we can do about it.
Jun. 08, 2013 at 7:21 AM • Report
JoselynWrites
I think your expectations are very high. Personally, I don't care for Miley Cyrus. But you can't blame someone for growing up and being who they want to be. No one should expect her to be a role model; that's up to her. You're asking her not to do human things, make mistakes. We should not ask her to be fake to act the way we would be pleased. 
May. 06, 2013 at 10:05 AM • Report
royalujjwa4
I loved miley before, but now she's all pretending to grow up and all, people change. Guess we'll just have to accept that!
Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM • Report
Close