Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Last Soft-Serve This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Blair H., Newton, MA

Tom has been the ice cream man at the Dairy Joy every summer for two years; this summer is his last before he leaves for college. The Dairy Joy isn’t part of a chain, it’s just one lonely little ice cream stand out in the middle of Weston, but a steady stream of locals, among whom the soft-serve is legendary, keep it afloat. Tom mans the big soft-serve machine, throttling in the corner like an old air conditioner, and his friend Joey makes hot dogs and hamburgers in the next window. After two years of quiet, diligent work, Tom has become a master craftsman in the fine art of soft-serve. He can coax a chocolate-vanilla combo into a tiny wafer cone by twisting the cone slowly and evenly as brown and white ropes twirl downward. He can flip a tall vanilla cone into a bucket of chocolate and flip it up without losing a drop.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

18 comment(s)
LillianAB
I really like the ending!
Apr. 03, 2015 at 2:14 PM • Report
JackFromAK
Wow what a great story, my grandfather's house is just down the road from the Dairy Joy that is described in this! Best ice cream in the world.
Jan. 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM • Report
Ray--yo
By the way, your name is Blair H, Blair H who writes our TI Newsletter!?!!
Jan. 05, 2015 at 9:17 AM • Report
Ray--yo
It is very nostalgic, sad as well. Great job writing, so sad that I almost feel like I shouldn't have read it, maybe because I'm feeling like Tom right now.
Jan. 05, 2015 at 9:15 AM • Report
Athena19
This is wonderful! I loved the imagery, and the tone of it was great. You got the nostalgic feeling just right
Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM • Report
GlitchedGirl
Captivating.
Aug. 04, 2014 at 2:37 PM • Report
Firelight23
Great story. It reminds me of a popular, local icecream shop where I live
Jan. 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM • Report
LillyZ83
Awesome story!
Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM • Report
Deej6595
This is a great story. I live near the area so, I think I might just visit the Dairy Joy. It seems like you had a lot of good memories there. 
Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM • Report
bwriter24
love it! so captivating
May. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM • Report
Close