Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Last Soft-Serve This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Blair H., Newton, MA

Tom has been the ice cream man at the Dairy Joy every summer for two years; this summer is his last before he leaves for college. The Dairy Joy isn’t part of a chain, it’s just one lonely little ice cream stand out in the middle of Weston, but a steady stream of locals, among whom the soft-serve is legendary, keep it afloat. Tom mans the big soft-serve machine, throttling in the corner like an old air conditioner, and his friend Joey makes hot dogs and hamburgers in the next window. After two years of quiet, diligent work, Tom has become a master craftsman in the fine art of soft-serve. He can coax a chocolate-vanilla combo into a tiny wafer cone by twisting the cone slowly and evenly as brown and white ropes twirl downward. He can flip a tall vanilla cone into a bucket of chocolate and flip it up without losing a drop.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

19 comment(s)
Amazing! I hope to win a contest as well, and am starting to notice patterns among the winning entries. For s fact, each one has a similar style and language. But this, is one of the best I have read. Congrats for winning the September 2005 teen ink fiction contest. Keep up the good work; I would love to see more.
Sep. 04, 2015 at 6:58 PM • Report
I really like the ending!
Apr. 03, 2015 at 2:14 PM • Report
Wow what a great story, my grandfather's house is just down the road from the Dairy Joy that is described in this! Best ice cream in the world.
Jan. 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM • Report
By the way, your name is Blair H, Blair H who writes our TI Newsletter!?!!
Jan. 05, 2015 at 9:17 AM • Report
It is very nostalgic, sad as well. Great job writing, so sad that I almost feel like I shouldn't have read it, maybe because I'm feeling like Tom right now.
Jan. 05, 2015 at 9:15 AM • Report
This is wonderful! I loved the imagery, and the tone of it was great. You got the nostalgic feeling just right
Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM • Report
Aug. 04, 2014 at 2:37 PM • Report
Great story. It reminds me of a popular, local icecream shop where I live
Jan. 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM • Report
Awesome story!
Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM • Report
This is a great story. I live near the area so, I think I might just visit the Dairy Joy. It seems like you had a lot of good memories there. 
Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM • Report