A Thousand Splendid Suns | Teen Ink

A Thousand Splendid Suns MAG

Khaled Hosseini had great success with his previous best-seller, The Kite Runner. In a similar vein, A Thousand Splendid Suns shows the fallout that Afghanistan's violent history has had on individuals, especially its women. Hosseini depicts the lives of Laila and Mariam, and their struggle against society and the Taliban.

They are both married to a womanizing shoemaker, Rasheed, who constantly is abusing them physically and verbally. Initially, Mariam, Rasheed's first wife, is jealous of Laila, but she soon realizes that she is in desperate need of a friend.

Khaled Hosseini's purpose is to show the hardships of women in Afghanistan and all they must endure in the household as well as society. At first, when the two women meet, Hosseini conveys the resistance between them, but they realize that there is no way they can survive without a trusted companion. Mariam and Laila can relate to each other through all they experience within the community and with their husband.

Hosseini brings the text to life as he intertwines realistic events. The constant fear of a bomb sinking a house or the Taliban tearing apart a family is prevalent in the story, making it all the more heart-wrenching.

As a reader of both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, I believe that Hosseini is successful in communicating the viewpoint of Afghani women during this period (1964-2003). He expresses the gut-wrenching details and the poor and hazardous living conditions of the characters, which reaches you emotionally. And he also describes the mental abuse of the women as they must abide by many rules of their society and their husband. It is astounding what knowledge a reader gains from this, since we do not often hear of the hardships and struggles of Afghani women. We are blind to the religious and cultural diversity in Afghanistan, which affects the lives of so many.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a remarkable story of two women in a society that is unforgiving and unwilling to see Mariam and Laila as equals. Not only does Hosseini tell a story of women trying to survive, but he gives the reader knowledge of a lifestyle that is foreign, yet so real. I would recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns to any reader who has a thirst for knowledge and is looking for an engrossing story.

i love this !

literarynongenius SILVER, South Carolina, South Carolina
This is a truly phenomenal review! As you mentioned, the shock that you endure once you read about Laila and Mariam's hardships is thought-provoking. But I think that it's important to remember that although Adghanistan has seen such gender discrimination, inequality was not everyone's ideal. Laila's father defies oppression against women, and that really provides an interesting parallel to the story. Thanks so much for the insightful review!!

Jstar97 GOLD said...
Jstar97 GOLD, Round Lake, Illinois

"Even the darkest nights will end and the sun will rise" - Les Miserables

on Jan. 3 2015 at 2:58 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

Oh, I cried so much during this book. AND THAT PART IS SO GUT-WRENCHING. @I-write-for-me-not-you

on Jan. 3 2015 at 2:57 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

@Serena_the_Squid Yes, you should! This book is one of the best ones I have ever read, by far. And I love this review so much!!!

oys98 said...
on Nov. 3 2013 at 1:41 am
Same here... :p

Serena_the_Squid, Kingston, Other
Adding to my to-read list. Thanks for the persuasive and informative review :)

I think that to receive the business loans from banks you must present a firm motivation. Nevertheless, one time I've received a credit loan, just because I was willing to buy a car.

Secretlypoetic GOLD, Hastings, Michigan
I loved a Thousand Splendid Suns, but found the part about Laila visiting Mariam's birthplace and reading Jalil's letter almost impossible to read. Closest a book had ever come to making me cry.

on Sep. 7 2011 at 2:02 am
musicisthegoodlife GOLD, Daegu, Other
Great Review :) 'The Kite Runner' was absolutely moving..and I'm hoping to read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' soon!

on May. 11 2011 at 2:45 am

exquisitely narrated review.

.

gonna peruse this book now and the kite runner is too touching.

PalabrasYColores BRONZE, Andover, Massachusetts
Great review, I loved the book!

on Nov. 25 2010 at 11:54 am
Katholmes BRONZE, London, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I am reading this book at the moment and this has kept me interested! Thanks

Zaho92 SILVER said...
Zaho92 SILVER, Los Angeles, California
I read the Kite Runner at schoo and it was wonderful. I also suggest reading The Namesake. Please comment my book review on it

Cheerio97 said...
Touching review, sound like a good book. I am mad though because I can't find a book review for my homework with italics, bolded letters, or underlined.