Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Thousand Splendid Suns This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Nick P., Wichita,

Khaled Hosseini had great success with his previous best-seller, The Kite Runner. In a similar vein, A Thousand Splendid Suns shows the fallout that Afghanistan's violent history has had on individuals, especially its women. Hosseini depicts the lives of Laila and Mariam, and their struggle against society and the Taliban.

They are both married to a womanizing shoemaker, Rasheed, who constantly is abusing them physically and verbally. Initially, Mariam, Rasheed's first wife, is jealous of Laila, but she soon realizes that she is in desperate need of a friend.

Khaled Hosseini's purpose is to show the hardships of women in Afghanistan and all they must endure in the household as well as society. At first, when the two women meet, Hosseini conveys the resistance between them, but they realize that there is no way they can survive without a trusted companion.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
@Serena_the_Squid Yes, you should! This book is one of the best ones I have ever read, by far. And I love this review so much!!!
Jan. 03, 2015 at 2:57 AM • Report
Adding to my to-read list. Thanks for the persuasive and informative review :)
Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM • Report
I think that to receive the business loans from banks you must present a firm motivation. Nevertheless, one time I've received a credit loan, just because I was willing to buy a car.
Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM • Report
Oh, I cried so much during this book. AND THAT PART IS SO GUT-WRENCHING. @I-write-for-me-not-you
Jan. 03, 2015 at 2:58 AM • Report