Ender’s Game | Teen Ink

Ender’s Game MAG

When assigned to read Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card, I thought it would be just another mediocre book about society’s flaws. I found, however, that it touches, if only a little, on the flaws of humanity itself.

I found the plot exciting. With themes of deception and betrayal, the story of a boy genius named Ender unfolds. Ender is taken and manipulated by the military to become a weapon against an alien race known as the Buggers. The turning point comes when Ender, age ten, has reached the peak of his training and decides he does not want to cooperate with the I.F. (the military power on Earth) anymore.

What is most appealing to me is Ender’s stability. He is taken from his loved ones, despised by his peers, and isolated from everyone, yet through it all he is able to make rational decisions. The series of challenges he faces are appealing to almost anyone, as it is human nature to sympathize with others’ hardships. The fact that Ender and his siblings are very intelligent but have just average parents is a little surreal, but then again so is the intergalactic war. The novel is definitely science-fiction!

Card does an excellent job keeping the story to under 400 pages. With all the possibilities, I feel he chose good situations for the characters to develop in. Each character shows some form of mental or physical growth, and it all occurs in a period of six years. The emotions each character experiences, especially Ender, are recognizable to anybody.

I really like how Card begins each chapter with a conversation between I.F. officials. This gives some insight into what is really going on in the universe and takes the focus from Ender for a bit. The personification card at the end of the book really helps the reader understand the Buggers. It foreshadows a second book, and shows the dramatic irony that the fate of the Buggers rests in the hands of a 12-year-old boy.

I highly recommend this book to just about anyone, even though it may sound most appealing to sci-fi fans. From beginning to end, you will find yourself feeling for Ender and all he accomplishes.

i love this !

on Jun. 13 2017 at 7:30 pm
TheReviewZ BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.

I love this book, and the review.

IMSteel BRONZE said...
on Mar. 27 2014 at 8:57 pm
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

Sequel, a letdown? I'm reading it, and it is a deep, interesting novel. It's just more complex.

moonissunguy said...
on Nov. 22 2012 at 12:03 pm
moonissunguy, Arroyo Grande, California
YAY! other people know about Ender's Game! It is one of my favorite books! I also read it when I was young. I still love this book and have recently re-read it. I emplore everyone to read it and its sequels and companions (ender's shadow). Also, Orson Scott Card has a new series out called Pathfinder!

on Aug. 22 2009 at 11:44 pm
joanofarc15 SILVER, Forest Lake, Minnesota

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent into the unknown place it leads." Erica Jong

This book is amazing...and the review is too! The sequel was a bit of a letdown in my opinion, but I love Ender's Game.

book lover said...
on Nov. 5 2008 at 11:45 pm
I am getting ready to read enders Game and this review make me all the more excited. I am only 12 but i read the same books as my mom who reads a lot.