Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Michael J., Twinsburg,

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

6 comment(s)
LillianAB
I love the Outsiders!!!
Jan. 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM • Report
Tarah18
This book was absolutely amazing! I read it in the 7th grade and we had to re-write the ending for an assignment.
Jan. 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM • Report
attee
If you think the book was great, watch the movieits very detailed and its just an incredible mmovie and besides the person who played ponyboy Curtis is actually quite cute as well as Ralph maccio (the karate kid) is a great performer in the movie
Jan. 28, 2015 at 3:25 PM • Report
Pseudonym329
OK, I know this will seem really random to post on a random article, but I really need ideas for a WWII play\movie, but I have no ideas! Could someone please post an idea on one of my articles and I swear I will put you in the credits for ideas, even though it isn't a big movie or whatever. I'm freaking out and I would've written this on an article but (1) most articles don't get published for like a month and I need this in like a week, and (2) no one would read it anyways, but this is getting a lot of attention, so I'm hoping someone will stop and read the really long review. So sorry! Please post it on any article, I promise that I'll check and reply to every one of them! Thank you so much!
Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM • Report
Call_Me_Aria
I read this book and I loved it! Thanks for writing a review!
Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM • Report
ChobaniLuvinPenguin
Michael, great review! It's unique and to the point. You touch upon all the important aspects of the book, and your opinions are clearly presented. It also flows very well. :)
Oct. 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM • Report
Close