Dream | Teen Ink

Dream

By MDunson BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
MDunson BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio

The children snuck into the dark purple circus tent that towered the others. None of them had ever been inside. The tent had been closed ever since the circus came to town years ago; however, it always stayed up. As the kids were almost under the tent to take a quick look, “Big Bill” the security guard roared at the children, “Scram!” The children quickly ran away.

In 1958, nine-year-old Jack Spullitz believed he lived quite a boring life. His small New Jersey town failed to offer many exciting things to do besides fishing or listening to the local radio station, but every year the carnival came to town, and this year Jack’s life would change forever.

The full moon lit the Earth with its pale light. Jack had snuck out of his house to see once and for all, what was in the mysterious purple circus tents. He told himself, “I’m not afraid of the dark. John Wayne wouldn’t be, so I ain’t either.” The cool night air was restless, as if it were afraid of the dark too.

The hole in the fence welcomed Jack into the carnival, just as it had every other day he had gone there. Jack cautiously walked, examining everything he saw in the dark. The vacant game stalls and tents looked surreal in the moonlight with nothing to occupy them, Jack thought. Jack slowly walked in the direction of the tent, and when he turned the final corner, he saw it.

A golden light poured from the entrance of the tent. Jack stared with wonder into the light; he was drawn to it like a moth to a street light. He approached the entrance slowly. He couldn’t see in because of the golden glow that was now lighting up his face as he got closer. Jack wondered about all the things that could be in the tent, the possibilities rattled his mind with wonder. And then, Jack stepped in.

Inside the tent was the most gold Jack would ever dream of seeing. It seemed that everything was lined with gold. And then he saw it, a golden chair lined with purple jewels. Jack’s name was etched at the top of the backrest. Jack ran to the chair and sat. All of a sudden, the sound of gears and machinery filled the tent, and a bright light came from over Jack’s head. The light shined on the wall of the tent like a movie projector. Jack saw his dreams from many nights before. “This is where dreams go.” he thought.

Warm, golden light illuminated Jack’s face. He opened his eyes to find that he was in bed. It was morning. Jack smiled at the thought of his dream and wondered about the purple tent.

Uncle Ron said...
Very Creative, keep going, lets see were it goes? You are very talented young man.

MDunson BRONZE said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:34 am
MDunson BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
Thanks for the comments!

on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:26 am
megan19marie SILVER, Kenton, Ohio
this is so incredible michael

on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:21 am
MESLSEINGZER BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
this was a beautiful story. FIVE STARS!

dseventeen said...
I liked it a lot because it was very descriptive.

CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

I loved it! Very descript. Keep on writing! :D