Is It Just Meaningless Beauty? | Teen Ink

Is It Just Meaningless Beauty?

By Dan Justin Simpelo GOLD, New City, New York
Dan Justin Simpelo GOLD, New City, New York

I looked upon the sky one peaceful night
While I was gloomly strolling ‘long the shore.
A gaze at stars so countless and so bright
Had made me think about my grief no more.

I pondered over planets’ splendid grace;
Of black holes, comets, all the glorious things.
I longed to see the great Creator’s face
To thank Him for the joy His handwork brings.

But men today say there is no Divine,
Convinced that all was brought forth just through fate.
“From specks to worlds we know of,” they explain,
“And wonders went on blooming to this date.”

But see from birth of space to man’s advance.
Oh, how could these have happened all by chance?

I hope that people would sometimes see the existence of all things, including their own, in my perspective.

on Oct. 4 2016 at 2:44 pm
legitannah GOLD, Akron, Ohio

Ce n'etait qu'un renard semblable 'a cent mille autres. Maus j'en ai fait mon ami, et il est maintenant unique au monde.- Antoine Saint-Exupery

Love this! Well written and I agree, also appreciate your author's comment.

on Apr. 14 2016 at 8:10 pm
rainissa SILVER, Edmonds, Washington
Beautiful poem, but I disagree. I don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean beauty is meaningless. It means something to whoever thinks it's beautiful. To me, that is enough.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Apr. 8 2013 at 4:16 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

You get a Mckay AMEN from me. This is "divine". Wonderful message that I hope everone here will heed some day soon.

on Jan. 28 2013 at 7:55 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

This is truly awesome. Feels so good when someone puts in words something you've been trying to say..Oh and the perfect words...Very good vocabulary and the rhyme of this sonnet is astonishingly beautiful!

on Oct. 20 2012 at 1:55 pm
VelanedeBeaute GOLD, Sialkot, Other

I vow to shine, like a sapphire, some gem!
I promise, not to whine, but smile till the end.
The symphony of my life
like a violin I will play,
I would vouch,
Vehement to my life I lay.

This is really divine, really spiritual. I simply adore this! Really good work! Keep it up! (: 

Nelu96 GOLD said...
on Aug. 27 2012 at 2:52 pm
Nelu96 GOLD, Windhoek, Other

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."- George Bernard Shaw

Beautiful! I adore this splendid piece of art.  

Alexandria said...
on Aug. 20 2012 at 6:36 pm
wow, i have read so many poems from this site and this is my favorite so far :) so beautiful, so true :) you did a great job capturing a " mood" that the reader feels both during the poem and after it  :) love!

Muscles said...
on May. 9 2012 at 1:03 pm
I liked your poem a lot. I think you did a great job with all the idioms you used. My favorite idiom you used was plondering over planets. I think your poem was full of figurative language.

on Mar. 28 2012 at 2:12 pm
Court901 BRONZE, Magnolia, Texas

"Imagniation is not a talent of some people, but it is the health of every person" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I absolutely love this!! Oh please read my poems. I have a religious one that you may like.

on Feb. 11 2012 at 11:15 pm
Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
That was very beautiful.

on Feb. 11 2012 at 6:33 pm
Shahiro PLATINUM, Johnston, Iowa

"Soon we must all choose between what is right and what is easy." - Dumbledore (Goblet of Fire)

I LOVE THIS SONNET!! i am a religious person, and i've thought about chance and the Creater (GOD) since probably when i was five! I really like the messege of this poem and can't wait to read more!! fate isn't something to mess with, but it all had to start somewhere. an explosion cant magically create life!

Kate298 SILVER said...
on Jan. 20 2012 at 5:48 pm
Kate298 SILVER, Syracuse, New York

You can't have a signal in the sky, but I'll be your hero.

That was so amazing and so true.

on Dec. 29 2011 at 8:45 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I love this~ Reading this I was reminded that I am just one part of something bigger than myself.

on Nov. 15 2011 at 6:18 pm
Wow, this was so amazing. I was watching a program the other night about how the universe was made, and I have to completly agree with the author. How could all this and us happen by chance? A beautiful sonnet, creativly written with an inspiring message. Thanks!

kobie1kenobi said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 9:09 am
I completely agree with what this ingenious author has said. This work of art is expressing, it speaks volumes, and it makes you reconsider this breath-taking world in a new perspective. Thank you for this, it was very inspiring.

on Jul. 15 2011 at 10:21 pm
4everFree BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The best things in life, are unexpected.

all I can say, is that is awesome... and so true.  no one seems to think about the Higher Power to all, the Great Creator... none of this ever could've happened by chance...

on Jun. 14 2011 at 5:08 pm
WeAllBurn PLATINUM, Vermilion, Ohio

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~Mahatma Gandhi

all i can say is that i agree, and i LOVED IT!

5/5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Footle BRONZE said...
on May. 1 2011 at 8:38 pm
Footle BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

We could attack the mayor with hummus?

OMG this is really great the whole message is beautiful

RFarage said...
on Apr. 6 2011 at 11:59 am
I really liked the point of the poem, wondering if everything happened by chance. I like the rhyme scheme(:

Cripsee said...
on Feb. 5 2011 at 8:47 am
This poem is truly fantastic, because it portrays the world in a manner which is beautiful to everyone. It's appeal lies in the perspective it provides. Though it has a religious message, it isn't forceful. If a person like me, very non-religious, could appreciate this, then it truly is amazing writing.