The Matrix | Teen Ink

The Matrix

By Sora57 BRONZE, Yorktown, Virginia
Sora57 BRONZE, Yorktown, Virginia

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing.
-Paraphrased from Douglas Adams

I'll never think of spoons the same way again.

It seems all my life has been a rehearsal for this moment. Whenever I explained my ponderings to people, they'd exclaim, "That sounds just like the Matrix!" I never understood what they were talking about-until now.

Have you ever watched a movie you want to take notes on? While I experience this a lot with books, movies are less personal, so I seldom feel this way.

Not so with the Matrix. There are moments of breathtaking action to feed the eyes, but also plenty of tidbits to oil the gears in your mind.

I won't betray too much, but the film explores the nature of reality as we know it, and a group's fight for the truth, however strange it may be. Neo, a hacker, is thrust into this battle, and has to find both the real world and his place within it.

The plotline is as surreal as a Twilight Zone episode. It also resembles a James Bond movie, explosions, fightscenes, and technology scattered through out. Although some quotes are a bit clichéd, the clever dialogue really impressed me.

I think the scariest thing about this movie is that it challenges every aspect of our existence. Although it's rated R, I didn't find any images particularly disturbing in this movie (and I'm not a fan of horror, either).

Trinity: "I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
Neo: What is the Matrix?
Trinity: The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

I applaud you, Wachowski brothers. Consider my mind blown.