Community | Teen Ink

Community MAG

By madimadi42 BRONZE, Winter Park, Florida
madimadi42 BRONZE, Winter Park, Florida

"No good at life, but very funny sometimes with the commentary."
-- kurt vonnegut

Thirty-something disbarred lawyer Jeff (Joel McHale from “The Soup”) enrolls in community college after having problems with his law school degree, allegedly obtained “in Colombia” and mistakenly believed to be “from Columbia.” At the college, he befriends the token foreign guy, Abed (played by Danny Pudi), as well as Pierce (Chevy Chase), the old and socially disturbed guy who makes awkward and unappreciated advances toward fortyish divorcee Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown). Of course, no formulaic comedy would be complete without a love interest, this time a 28-year-old high school dropout named Britta (Gillian Jacobs). As an added bonus, and, one might even say, an afterthought, the casting directors threw in John Oliver (from “The Daily Show”) as a friend and former client of Jeff's.

The cast is undeniably great, and the premise has some serious potential. Unfortunately, nothing more is offered as a reason to watch the show. A few funny one-liners here and there, a few “Soup” references, and some clichéd jokes add occasional laughs, mostly at the expense of Abed. The cast seems to have what could pass as chemistry, but they fail to develop it.

With such a wonderful cast full of recognizable people who are only a bit past their prime, one might think that the show would warrant some compliments and viewership. However, it doesn't. The writing is weak and the characters seem shallow. Regardless of how disappointing the first episode was, I say the show is still worth watching, if only to see where it goes.

For IB newspaper at my school. yippee.

TinaFeyfan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey

"Its my way till pay day."- 30 Rock

If not made obvious by my username I love 30 Rock. Another thing is my favorite Community episode is when they did dugeons and dragons that was really funny. 

madimadi42 BRONZE, Winter Park, Florida

-- kurt vonnegut

I wrote this just after the first episode came out, and I didn't find that one to be particularly funny. It was mildly entertaining, but could have been way funnier. The show is funnier now, though I still consider 30 ROCK to be the funniest show on NBC right now. 

on Apr. 30 2011 at 11:11 am
Gigiliciousdefinicious BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it!

please- its the funniest thing ever. And you neglected to mention Troy or Chang.

on Apr. 22 2011 at 8:43 am

"Its my way till pay day."- 30 Rock

I disagree to me the show is  extremely  funny.