Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Algebra One This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

Remember all those rationals and irrationals, the ones we got confused?

I still get them wrong and I am not very amused.

Digits and decimals, too many D's

But wait until we start on those x, y, and z's.

Powers of 10 are expressed by exponents in many ways,

But, remember, there is only one and that is to have them raised.

Counting all those zeros makes me very crazy,

So use that scientific notation and don't be so lazy.

Collections of elements in sets are a breeze.

Elements follow a pattern just like 1, 2, and 3's.

A variable is a symbol like x which has 1 value, not 2.

If you put the right variable in an open sentence, the statement will be true.

Factoring numbers can be such a bore!

But, prime numbers are the best since the factors are only 1 and itself, and nothing more.

Page 1 of 4

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

23 comment(s)
diamoner
The poem delighted me even though it talks about the struggles in the class it also informs you about algebra 1. The way you had the your idea from hardest to easiest was a good way to organize it. “Basic axioms of algebra leave you in awe” was easy to relate with because the problems were easy,```````````````` \] and it was like a break.
Nov. 10, 2015 at 2:07 PM • Report
futurista12
And Trigonometry :)
Sep. 05, 2015 at 9:51 PM • Report
DietCoke
"But, we still have Geometry (check), Algebra 2 (check)," and Math Analysis as well as Calculus A/B/C to continue the fun!!! And don'f forget AP Stats
Jun. 09, 2015 at 4:58 PM • Report
HafsaAhmed
i loveee mathsss
Jan. 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM • Report
qanitah_elf
I really like this poem! It really makes you think, and I can relate to this poem so well since I've taken Algebra. I really love the rhyme scheme as well :) Awesome job!!!!
Jan. 06, 2015 at 7:38 PM • Report
Enigmapleet
COOL like MATHS........  
Nov. 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM • Report
itserratic
I have no other word for this but this was AAAAMAAAAZIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct. 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM • Report
MissEmilyDickinson
Wow. This is amazing. It's just absolutely, wonderful. I love it. It really makes a person think and whirl in its head. I love it, a lot. It just made me think, a lot. You really have a talent and greatness in you; and I hope you know that. Thank you for sharing this. ^_^ You are a talented and wonderful and amazing writer and person. Congrats on having this published. ^_^ You deserve it. Thanks again.
Sep. 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM • Report
GhostBeam
I liked it.     It made me acually want to do math.     I'm gonna use this on my next Test.         Good Work.         Keep Writing.
Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM • Report
TheOceansBlackBird
The rhythm was a little off at times but I actually found this poems mathpart really helpful! Everything you said sort of made my brain want to explode but i actually kind of liked it...nice.
Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM • Report
Close