Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Homelessness This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By KRISTA E., Westford, MA

My home can be

everywhere

or nowhere.

My daily meals

consist

of anything or

nothing.

My knick-knacks

and baubles

are the clothes

I

wear.

My money

is

only what

others

give me.

I am a being.

I am human.

I am homeless.

If only people

could see

where I stand.

and

help me

through

this all.

Will this loneliness

ever end?

Will I begin

a

new life?

Does

anyone

care?

Because

I

am here.

I

am

real.

I

cannot

be ignored.

I am a person.

I am alive.

And...

I am homeless. n

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

12 comment(s)
MissEmilyDickinson
This is simple yet not simple at the same time. Simple because you can understand it, but not simple at the same time because of what's in your poem. It's absolutely, phenomenal. It's filled with such honesty, power, simplicity and complex, beauty and rawness; and just so much. In some ways, I can connect to this. Stay strong, my friend. :) You're an amazing and talented and beautiful writer and person. You have such talent and greatness and light and a beauty that is your own; and so much more. All of this and just so much more. Thank you so much for sharing this, my friend! I absolutely, love this and it touched me in different ways and I felt a sort of connection to it. Congrats on having this already published in Teen Ink's magazine because you truly deserve this! Thank you, again. :)
Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM • Report
Balanceoflightanddarkness
I love this poem, I was homeless once. No one will feel how you feel ino they step into your shoes and walk a mile or too in it. Anyway I see how you use postiveness and negativeness to compare and contrast homelessness. Anyway I hope you get better and I hope you get hope.
Oct. 21, 2014 at 9:42 AM • Report
SimplyErica
I wrote something similar to this called "Those Street People's Stories". Check it out whenever. It reminds me a lot of this and this is something serious other's need to know.
Jun. 02, 2013 at 1:40 AM • Report
itsjustmeHannah
This is beautiful. well done. i think that the reason its so powerful is beacause your writing is very simple. you dont use any big words or difficult to understand phrases. you simply write emotion, and it shows, and you cant argue with pure emotion. most people cant do what youve done. so feel proud. 
Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM • Report
CTS207
Bravo, simple, true, a little much on the space between stanzas *but that is the sites fault*. Truly worthy of a 5/5
Mar. 08, 2013 at 9:51 PM • Report
Ghoshy
This poem tells a moving story. It was sad, but exceptionally written. The breaks in writing made the poem seem much more real. 
Jan. 03, 2013 at 6:30 PM • Report
Siilver
This is wonderful :) The line breaks were perfect. The first stanza was my favorite-- the writing seemed to be less concrete in the second. Both were very good, though! Keep writing. 
Jan. 03, 2013 at 11:20 AM • Report
iluvrockandroll2
brilliant free verse!!
Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM • Report
MarieAntoinette2012
That's just rude. There's no advice to help critique this. Critique means advice, not whining that your friend didn't get her work published, and not high fiving each other that you guys are both jealous.
Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM • Report
writingriver05
Hey were all poets how would you like it if someone put up a comment like yours?
May. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM • Report
Close