Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Renee R., Arlington Heights, IL

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

54 comment(s)
Maryk
This is a very terrible statement,cheer leaders do the same thing the color guard does in marching band and yet ignorant people like your self and arrogant band directors call them a mere distraction or shinny thing. Shame on you and your annalist!
May. 05, 2015 at 11:01 AM • Report
Kelce
Incredible work here. As a football fan, it makes me appreciate our cheerleaders even more.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM • Report
chα chα
чєαh thíѕ mαkєѕmє mαd whєn pєσplє ѕαч dαncє αnd chєєr lєαdíng íѕ nσt α ѕpσrt í chσѕє tσ dσ α ѕpєєch σn thíѕ tσpíc αnd mч clαѕѕ hαd thíѕ hugє dєвαtє σn mч ѕpєєch αnd ít tσσk líkє thє hσlє pєríσd
Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM • Report
Maryk
I think when you do this debate you should be more resurrect on both sides of the issue
May. 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
Okay, first off, I love this and I only had to read the title. I'm not a cheerleader, but I'm a ballerina, and it makes me want to snap someone in half when they say either of them aren't physically (or mentally) demanding. I give you props.
Apr. 09, 2015 at 1:06 AM • Report
Maryk
That is a very good argument for this issue. I think cheer leading and dance should be considered the same because they both use music and timing to create a good routine or performance.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
You are 100% right haha. But actually some dancers prefer to consider dance an art rather than a sport.
Apr. 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM • Report
Maryk
But cheer leading and dance are art forms because a lot of timing is involved in each movement. Also when cheer leaders do a routine to music and make a cheer with physical percussion (hand clapping) that right there is an element that right there is the artistic side of cheer leading.It's the same thing color-guards do in the marching band, and why in ballet hand gestures are used to communicate the characters actions from a dying swan, a captured fire bird, and even a tribal society like in The Rite of Spring. When the chosen one is found in act two the other woman push her into the center of the ring to indicate to the audience she is the chosen sacrifice. To every movement there is meaning.
Apr. 26, 2015 at 8:48 AM • Report
izzyz
I fully agree with your opinion
Mar. 23, 2015 at 3:25 AM • Report
Maryk
I'am glad you have such compassion for cheerleaders. It reminds me about how hard color guards work, and yet directors and other ignorant people call them, "the shinny thing". It is very offensive and perpetuates the same stereotypes that cheerleaders are put under. By the way have you seen the show Blast?
Mar. 04, 2015 at 9:27 AM • Report
Close