Shakespeare- Overrated? | Teen Ink

Shakespeare- Overrated?

By citygirl_tawni SILVER, Ottawa, Other
citygirl_tawni SILVER, Ottawa, Other

I've studied Shakespeare/ Elizabethean era ever since grade 6. And 3 years later, i still am. King of the Shadows, Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's dream and Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare himself or his plays are not boring. But constantly studying it IS boring, no offense. I mean, this is an opinionated work and I can see for those who like him get offended, but it wasn't intentional. Yes he is one of the best authors or doo-di-da ever, and yes, he will easily be remembered, honored and respected for his work, but we need to move on. We need a new topic to study, find a new author that had great talents and an amazing story like Shakespeare did. Stories that have to do with young students, that have a connection with out life,

I was asked to rate out of 10 on how important it is to study Shakespeare in the modern era. I gave it 6 out of 10.

on Mar. 27 2010 at 8:56 am
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Good point- Shakespeare was a great writer but not the best writer ever. Thanks for writing this- it's a good article!