No Pain, No Gain | Teen Ink

No Pain, No Gain MAG

I'd like to take a step in my defense, and also in the defense of all cheerleaders everywhere. I'm proclaiming that cheerleading is indeed a sport.

It demands just as much capability, sweat and endurance as any other sport. We practice just as much as any other sport - perhaps even more. We sweat and feel as much pain in our muscles as any football, hockey, or basketball player. Hey - I'd like to see Dan Marino, Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretsky do a Russian jump or a split. It's hard and it hurts! My muscles burn after hours of practice, and I lift weights like any other athlete. I may even be able to bench more. My coach screams at me, trying to make me achieve the heights she knows I can reach, just like any other coach.

People may think cheerleaders are just pretty girls in short skirts with loud voices. Our voices are indeed loud and clear, so people can hear us glorify the teams that we cheer for, the hockey, basketball, football, and soccer teams. We brag about their victories, and share their sorrow in defeats.

But it's those ungrateful people who give us a bad name. They say that they could do fine without us, but if they are fine without us, why do they get upset if we don't attend the big game against our rival town? So, I guess we do make a difference. But to all the people who badmouth cheerleaders, we work just as hard as anyone, and deserve credit where credit is due. n

zhouhounan said...
on Nov. 5 2018 at 10:16 am
zhouhounan, Manila, Alabama
I'm on your side . Don't badmouth any team. Cheerleading takes a vital role in contest

on Feb. 18 2017 at 12:16 am
ashfah17 SILVER, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night...Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

I agree with all that you've said, as cheerleading does take much dedication. I am, however, upset with the objectification and over sexualization of cheerleaders. Perhaps next time, you should address that as well.

on Jul. 23 2011 at 9:02 pm
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Cheerleading is a sport and it is one of the most dangerous ones. People who says that cheerleading are for nothing are the people who don't know what cheerleading is.

Great article!