Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

What it is like to live with Aspergers Syndrome This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Anonymous, Milford, OH

I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 9 years old, but have probably have had it since I was born 17 years ago. At that time, I didn’t even know what Aspergers was, but I have learned what it is. Aspergers is a developmental disorder within the autism spectrum. Living with Aspergers, I’ll say, is not very much fun. Actually, it is really annoying to have such a disability. Having Aspergers can cause me to get angry or confused very easily. I can get so angry when my parents tell me to do something, especially if I am in the middle of doing something else. When I was a lot younger, and still today, I have a hard time understanding what the teacher is explaining. Most of the time my grandmother tries to explain the homework to make it more easier for me to do. Sometimes, when I am doing one thing, I am thinking of another thing like I can’t even spell today.

Page 1 of 5

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

26 comment(s)
Starshine
Hi I have Aspergers, and ADHD. I'm not sure what symptoms of Aspergers I have but for ADHD I twitch a lot and I have trouble with paying attention to whatever it is the teacher is trying to teach though this is only in math.
May. 29, 2016 at 4:23 AM • Report
Andy
Hy! I post this comment to say that yoi're not alone.I'm a 16.half year old teenager from Romania and i face similar problems to you. i have Asperger's althow my mother tells me that i don't have.Now i realize why i had so many problems eg. extreme difficulty in making friends,problems with speech althow as you can see i can expres.myself here,but in real life often i have problems because i don't know what to say or how to respond to people.I believe that you're a pretty and kind-harted girl allthow you are born with this condition.I would like to to talk to you face-to-face allthow I'm a bit shy.Pkease answer this comment.Andy
Mar. 02, 2016 at 10:57 AM • Report
Andy
Hey,you're not the only one in this unfortunate situation! I'm a 16 year old teenager from Romania who faces quite the same problems.I.have Asperger's althow my.mother doesn't.want to.recognize it.I' m sure you're a pretty girl no matter that unfortunately you are born with this condition.I would love to talk.to you allthow I'm a bit shy.Please anaswer to my comment born with this condition.I would love to talk to you personally althow I'm quite shy.Please answer to my commeny
Mar. 02, 2016 at 10:46 AM • Report
DevereauxFrazier
Ah man, I love this. I was unofficially diagnosed just a couple years ago, and like you, I wrote about it for Teen Ink. Have you read John Elder Robinson? He says it gets better as we age, so maybe it'll get easier for you.
Jul. 02, 2015 at 4:11 PM • Report
thatgothgirluknow
i dont have aspergers but i do have most of the same problems you mentioned due to the several disorders i have and i know a lot of people with the disorder but trust me they have overcome it and you can to you might like to check out this site called virtual teen i have allot of good friends on there with autism if u ever need to talk im here and i know what u mean when u say u dont feel normal i have A.D.D, disocative disorder, severe anxiety, ptsd, and a tic disorder just to name a few tings these things also make life hard for me but im working to overcome them tis year i had to leave school because of them :( because my tic disorder causes me to move uncontrollably and it causes anxiety which makes it worse when that happens people stare at me and sometimes make fun of me plus its really scary this year it got so bad that i couldnt write or draw anymore and it took me twice as long to read things as everybody else but next year i am goig back to school and i am ready to work twice as hard as everyone to get the grades i have to
Jun. 05, 2015 at 1:24 PM • Report
apinkwildrose
I cant pretend to know what living with Aspergers is like but i do know what its like living with a disability. I have two dyslexia and a.d.d and what I have learned is to treat them as weakness not a thing or disability. Every one has weakness and no one is perfect you are just like every body else. It might seem that your are the only one with a "disability" but really your just some one how has a label for your weakness. And don't let that weakness get in the way of your realizing all the wonderful gifts god has given you. Like the ability to wright and not only wright but with proper grammar. I wish i could do that with out text edit you wouldn't know what i was saying.
Feb. 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM • Report
DarkyPMobian
I don't have Asperger's, but I do have a form of autism called PDD-NOS (Pervesive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified). There are some good things to having a form of autism. For instance, we are advanced in either academics, visual media or music. I'm talented in all areas. (Not to brag.) Trust me. I'm having difficulties with social skills, too. Maybe we should talk sometime. I'm Kai. :D
Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM • Report
nomistoo
Very well-written! You'll find someone to spend your life with (:
Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM • Report
lilyisawesome
Hey you are not alone i have Aspergers as well and i am just like you my name is lily and i go to a school that helps me with my disability and in the past i was bullied alot and never got a boyfriend at all. The guys i found always cheated on me or used me to do stuff that i said no to and they would just make fun of me. Now that i understand what i have i have learned alot of things from it like just be urself and dont be upset about having aspergers. 
Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM • Report
Megan21192
I agree. You can learn alot from just being yourself and not getting upset about beiing disabled. Maybe someday the right guy will come along and will like us for who we are on the inside.
May. 09, 2014 at 12:31 PM • Report
Close