Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

What it is like to live with Aspergers Syndrome This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Anonymous, Milford, OH

I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 9 years old, but have probably have had it since I was born 17 years ago. At that time, I didn’t even know what Aspergers was, but I have learned what it is. Aspergers is a developmental disorder within the autism spectrum. Living with Aspergers, I’ll say, is not very much fun. Actually, it is really annoying to have such a disability. Having Aspergers can cause me to get angry or confused very easily. I can get so angry when my parents tell me to do something, especially if I am in the middle of doing something else. When I was a lot younger, and still today, I have a hard time understanding what the teacher is explaining. Most of the time my grandmother tries to explain the homework to make it more easier for me to do. Sometimes, when I am doing one thing, I am thinking of another thing like I can’t even spell today.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

23 comment(s)
DevereauxFrazier
Ah man, I love this. I was unofficially diagnosed just a couple years ago, and like you, I wrote about it for Teen Ink. Have you read John Elder Robinson? He says it gets better as we age, so maybe it'll get easier for you.
Jul. 02, 2015 at 4:11 PM • Report
thatgothgirluknow
i dont have aspergers but i do have most of the same problems you mentioned due to the several disorders i have and i know a lot of people with the disorder but trust me they have overcome it and you can to you might like to check out this site called virtual teen i have allot of good friends on there with autism if u ever need to talk im here and i know what u mean when u say u dont feel normal i have A.D.D, disocative disorder, severe anxiety, ptsd, and a tic disorder just to name a few tings these things also make life hard for me but im working to overcome them tis year i had to leave school because of them :( because my tic disorder causes me to move uncontrollably and it causes anxiety which makes it worse when that happens people stare at me and sometimes make fun of me plus its really scary this year it got so bad that i couldnt write or draw anymore and it took me twice as long to read things as everybody else but next year i am goig back to school and i am ready to work twice as hard as everyone to get the grades i have to
Jun. 05, 2015 at 1:24 PM • Report
apinkwildrose
I cant pretend to know what living with Aspergers is like but i do know what its like living with a disability. I have two dyslexia and a.d.d and what I have learned is to treat them as weakness not a thing or disability. Every one has weakness and no one is perfect you are just like every body else. It might seem that your are the only one with a "disability" but really your just some one how has a label for your weakness. And don't let that weakness get in the way of your realizing all the wonderful gifts god has given you. Like the ability to wright and not only wright but with proper grammar. I wish i could do that with out text edit you wouldn't know what i was saying.
Feb. 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM • Report
DarkyPMobian
I don't have Asperger's, but I do have a form of autism called PDD-NOS (Pervesive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified). There are some good things to having a form of autism. For instance, we are advanced in either academics, visual media or music. I'm talented in all areas. (Not to brag.) Trust me. I'm having difficulties with social skills, too. Maybe we should talk sometime. I'm Kai. :D
Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM • Report
nomistoo
Very well-written! You'll find someone to spend your life with (:
Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM • Report
lilyisawesome
Hey you are not alone i have Aspergers as well and i am just like you my name is lily and i go to a school that helps me with my disability and in the past i was bullied alot and never got a boyfriend at all. The guys i found always cheated on me or used me to do stuff that i said no to and they would just make fun of me. Now that i understand what i have i have learned alot of things from it like just be urself and dont be upset about having aspergers. 
Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM • Report
Megan21192
I agree. You can learn alot from just being yourself and not getting upset about beiing disabled. Maybe someday the right guy will come along and will like us for who we are on the inside.
May. 09, 2014 at 12:31 PM • Report
angel_bunny
I have Aspergers too and I always rock back and forth (it gets on my drama teacher's nerves when we are practicing) but people don't seem to notice when I am out somewhere not on stage. (Every little movement is noticable on stage, I have a lot of trouble with that.) I'm always trying to find a way to stay focused on my work right now I have a stuffed kitty penceil case that I keep hold of to have something in my hands to play with. I always have trouble explaning have aspergers works and this is perfect beyond words. Good lck with school and boyfriends! <3
Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM • Report
Megan21192
When I'm on the stage acting I feel like a normal adult. Because when I am on the stage I can be anything I want to be. I'm always worried that if I tell people about my disability that they will treat me differently. I guess that fear will always remain with me. But now realizing that I'm not alone and that others have Aspergers too makes me realize that I'm not alone.
May. 09, 2014 at 12:28 PM • Report
Megan21192
I have had tons of crushes but not one boy has asked me out. I eventually want to move out of my parents home and get married and start a family of my own. But that is hard when I don't have a man to share my life with.
Jul. 08, 2013 at 8:59 PM • Report
Close