Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars | Teen Ink

Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars

By PoeticRamblings GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia
PoeticRamblings GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia

Facts may be true, but there are very few people who dare to speak the truth.

With only two special left before the 10th Doctor’s “song must end” Doctor Who fans such as me have been left clinging to every precious Tennant filled moment.

As usual British sensation David Tennant lit up the screen with his brilliant brand of comedy and complete emotional dedication to his difficult starring role. Lindsay Duncan did a wonderful job as dedicated, courageous Captain Adelaide Brooke. Despite this, I found she fell flat as a temporary companion, failing to bring the passion, optimism, and spunk of 10’s previous companions.

While Russell T. Davies has some of the greatest TV masterpieces of all time, he has once again gone overboard in the sadistic and dismal aspect. Adelaide’s heart-wrenching suicide, came as a close second to little Steven’s death (Torchwood) in terms of unnecessary bereavement.

The plot began as intriguing, if not predictable with everyone’s favorite Time Lord finding himself in yet another morally compromising predicament; torn between the value of life and the laws of time itself. And when dangerous, hydro traveling aliens threaten to destroy Earth, The Doctor springs to action, rising above ethical restrictions in a little known darker side of him.

A certain poignant loneliness was prevalent, as in any companion-less episode, and while this offered valuable character development for everyone’s favorite “Lonely God”, it took away some of this series all important jocular cleverness.

After four epic seasons and magnificent special, I have come to expect nothing but perfection from every second of this brilliant show, an expectation that just wasn’t fulfilled this time.

Possibly my favorite line from this special was when The Doctor was asked to state his name rank and intention. His reply:
"The Doctor, Doctor, Fun."

on Sep. 18 2010 at 7:18 am

Tennant will always be my favorite doctor, but I still think Matt Smith is a great actor, and I think he makes a wonderful doctor. I think it's the writing that kills it.

Enforcer BRONZE, North Adams, Massachusetts

"If that's how you want to live your life, I say go nuts!"

Actually, I really like Matt Smith as the Doctor, he really reminds me of one of the Doctors form the classic series. And yes, David Tennant and Christopher Ecceston rocked at the roll of the Doctor, real shame Ecceston stay longer though.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 2:03 am
fusrodahsaraaa GOLD, Albany, Other
I was so sad to hear that David Tennant wasn't playing the Doctor anymore. He was by far the best Doctor to date. Matt Smith kills it. xxx