The big wide world | Teen Ink

The big wide world

By AmyPackham15 SILVER, Lancaster, Other
AmyPackham15 SILVER, Lancaster, Other

\'You should believe, even when life is giving you every reason not to\'

In the big wide world?
So at some point after all those years of education, exams, essays, work, you get to a point where everything you have worked for your whole life comes down to what you make of it. You have no guidance, no more input and you have to make a decision as to what you want to do with, or make of your life.

Luckily I haven't reached that point yet but I feel like I am in the last hurdle that I have to complete until I do get there. Being in university is a huge jump from college but you still get guidance, you have essays to complete by deadlines, exams to revise for and work to complete. The purpose that you have is to get through those three years, at a satisfactory standard in order to help accelerate what will soon be your career. Although it doesn't seem to be an easy ride having to complete all this work, in proportion to what is coming up afterwards it is. Being told what you have to do in university helps guide you, independence is still growing, however you are guided through these three years in order to set yourself up for the rest of your life.

So what happens next? It's a scary prospect thinking that you are left with no guide, after being in education since you were 4, maybe 5 years old, it's weird to think that it's all over and down to you. When we are are in primary school and faced with the question 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' we can usually answer straight away and don't ever think of how we are going to get there, what steps we are going to make; obviously because we are usually about 9 and we change what we want to be when we grow up twice a week.

I guess that it what the most daunting thing is. Sometimes we have a pretty good idea of what we want to do as a career by the time we reach university but it is the steps to how we get there which is the hard part. We can have a goal, but we have no one to guide us telling us exactly what we have to do to get to that dream job. What job do we take first? Do we take something slightly related to get experience and hope to prosper in that job? Or do we wait around for something exactly what we want to do, not knowing if it will ever come? Is money important or should we take a job more suited to us with less money? There are so many questions to ask yourself and this time its only you that can make a decision. Yes, you can get help, but ultimately it's down to you to what decisions you make. About everything.

So whats my dream job? You know at the beginning of a magazine where there is a note from the editor? Well hopefully in 10 years one of those notes will have my name signed at the bottom of the page.

But before I get to that what do I have to think of? University? Work experience? Where I want to work? How will I get started?

Well I guess I have all of that still to come... luckily there's still 2 and a half years before I reach that stage.

I wanted to write a blog about what was going on in my life and about how I felt. My sister has just finished university and I have just begun and this issue has arisen a lot and made me think about what I will do when I finish university.