Aruba | Teen Ink

Aruba MAG

"Nick, come on, get up, we're going to miss our flight!" my parents screamed.

It was 4 a.m. and I wasn't in the mood to get up. Then it kicked in: We were going on vacation! I quickly got ready and was the first in the car. It was pouring rain and windy the whole way to the airport. The weather was depressing and I couldn't wait to get out of there. A few hours later, we took off for paradise. While others slept, I was kept wide-awake by my excitement.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be landing in 20 minutes," the pilot announced.

At this, my face became practically glued to the window. My eyes widened at the breathtaking scene that made the six-hour flight worthwhile. The sky was a rich blue, the water was a clean aqua, and palm and divi trees were scattered about. The moment I stepped out of the plane, I knew I was in heaven. I was in Aruba.

After checking in, I was ready to explore. What better place to start than the beach? I took a long walk, taking in the spectacular views. About 40 miles away, Venezuela was easily visible. Walking along the palm tree lined beach, my body was warmed by the 80-degree weather.

All day, every day, I was either in the water or on the sand. I went kayaking, wind-surfing, parasailing and wake boarding. Besides these, there were endless beach activities: volleyball, soccer, flying a kite, or simply relaxing.

An average day in Aruba is quite active, but I'm not sure it can beat the exciting nightlife. Restaurants begin to get packed around six. After a delicious meal, young and old split up. For adults, casinos are very popular. For teenagers and young adults, dance clubs are a must.

Before I knew it, ten days had passed and I was on the plane heading home. The only thing that cheered me was the thought that I would be back next year. I closed my eyes, and remembered the great experiences. Meeting new people and seeing some old friends, visiting my favorite spots, and having a great time - I really can't wait until next summer's visit.