Feeling Numb | Teen Ink

Feeling Numb MAG

I hate to cry. No wait, I used to hate to cry. See, I used to believe that crying made me show emotion, therefore making me seem weak and vulnerable. My mindset was, "I'm an Aries, an audacious fire element, and a Tiger in the Chinese astrology wheel! I have to be strong!"

Don't get me wrong, I was a pretty happy person and liked to laugh, but showing sadness or fear was a big no-no. My policy was never to cry in public, only around my closest friends. Even then I was wary of showing so much emotion.

But something happened. When I was 14, I had a tumor removed from my breast. So many thoughts raced through my head during those weeks of recovery. The tumor wasn't cancerous, but it still hurt physically and emotionally. It made me rethink everything, and I mean everything.

I won't bore you with my whole life story, but the experience raised a lot of "What ifs" and questions about my self worth. Was I being selfish by making my parents pay all that money? What would have happened if I hadn't said anything about it? Did I cheat death?

Overly dramatic? Yes, I know. But the experience did teach me something. It didn't matter if I was an Aries or a tough Tiger. No one questioned my strength. I learned the thing that mattered most to me: to suck in the experience, whatever it may be. And if I feel pain, sadness, fear or joy along the way, that's okay. If it moves me that much, I can cry. Because crying, along with yelling, screaming and whining, reminds us that we are alive and experiencing something. And isn't feeling something better than feeling numb and not crying at all?

on Mar. 20 2018 at 11:52 am
Calista_04 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
You are amazingly strong!! Keep fighting! You are so worth all the air, and life you take in the world.

on Feb. 21 2012 at 11:26 pm
Tiff-the-Dreamer PLATINUM, Swords Creek, Virginia

I can totaly understand not wanting to show your emotions to people. I hate doing it, it reminds me of when I was little, and afraid of everything. And show my emotions it makes me feel weak and vunerable as well.

I completely get the feeling numb part.

I havent gotten over my "lack of showing emotion" yet, but its nice to know I'm not the only person who has felt like that.

on Aug. 7 2011 at 5:14 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I completely agree with you! Great article :)

on Apr. 22 2010 at 9:21 am
spazziod BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
i loved it..it is always good to let your emotion show