Size This | Teen Ink

Size This

By SarahCunningham BRONZE, Warrenton, Missouri
SarahCunningham BRONZE, Warrenton, Missouri

together we stand, together we fall, together we in, and winners take all

Double zero, zero, two. The pant sizes that only the natural skinny, diseased, or sick wear. What does it take to wear such sizes? If the genetics are not there, then what are you willing to put yourself through to get to such extreme? Eating disorders ruin lives everyday without notice.

Models make it look so easy to be skinny; in America's Next Top Model shows all these so called "perfect figured women". The standard tall, long legged, flat stomach that shows a little rib and collar bone, distinctive facial features, and lanky but toned arms.

How does one get like this? Smoking? Popping pills? Not eating? Vomiting after meals? People abuse their bodies like this to reach such satisfaction. Research shows that one out of five women have an eating disorder. Ten to fifteen percent of people with eating disorders are men. Eating disorders are effecting a huge rang of ages. Fifty one percent of nine and ten year old girls feel better about themselves if they're on a diet.

There are three types of eating disorders. Bulimia, anorexia, and binge.

Bulimia is when the person eats food normally or goes through excessive eating, then purges the body of the food; usually by either inducing vomiting, or by the use of laxatives.

Repeated vomiting can result in ulcers, ruptures, or strictures of the esophagus. Acid that backs up from the stomach (reflux) can also become a problem

An obsessive exercise rage is normal for one that is bulimic. This is why bulimia is most common in athletes; mainly wrestlers, dancers, horse jockeys, and runners.

Anorexia is starving yourself. People that are anorexic refuse to eat in public and get to the point that they are fifteen percent lower than normal body weight. This illness is known to put people into the hospital with anemia, kidney stones, kidney failure, or even death. Fine hair, brittle nails, dry skin, mood swings, and procrescophobia are all signs of this disorder.

Eighty-five to ninety-five percent of people who are anorexic are women. Wrestlers, runners, actors, dancers, and models are the most common with this kind of eating disorder. Having to cut weight for their job or sport is the reason behind this.

Binge is an eating disorder characterized by the uncontrolled, excessive intake of any available food and often following vomiting.

A compulsive overeater is at health risk for a heart attack, kidney disease and/or failure, ruptured stomach, arthritis, and bone deterioration.

Why do people go through all of this just to be skinny? Its not like they are oblivious to the denouement. The thing is, that everyone wants to something else; never pleased with themselves. Exercising normally and healthy eating habits are better ways to get down a couple sizes; rather than threatening your mental and physical well-being, and your life.

on Feb. 17 2010 at 11:37 am
MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other
if you don't know how to approach her, tell your parents.

TheUnknownGuest GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia

I can't remember it clearly, but it went something like this:

"The past is the past, the future is the furture. But now, now is like a gift, which is why it is called present."

That's the same addvice I'd give to someone with the same problem as me.... but it seems to hard to do that. She is 5 years older than me, has really bad paitence (sp), and always goes her own way. On the plus side, she started losing weight around 5 years ago and it took 6 months for her to get to 128. Doesn't sound to bad. In the other time left over is when she lost the remaining weight. I don't really know how exactly to do this, because she might yell at me :(

sj74 said...
I think the best way to help is if you aproach her about it. Three years ago my sister had an eating disorder too so I know what you're going through. Start by talking to her and ask her whats wrong. If she denies it then try to catch her in the act...Pull up pictures on the internet to show her how serious it really is. Bulimia is really dangerous; someone her height should no way start at 170 and drop to 115.