Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Tough Lesson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Amanda, Minneota, MN

It was the end of my junior year, the weekend before prom. I was riding around that night with some friends, and a bottle got passed around the car. Everyone was taking swigs. Then the bottle got to me. With it in my hand I thought, What will I do? I took a swig. That was the biggest mistake of my life – I had to drive home later that night.

We arrived at my friends’ house and watched a movie. About an hour later I asked them to bring me back to my car. Not thinking, I got in and drove off.

At a stop sign I realized a cop was sitting in the parking lot across the street. When I saw his headlights turn on, I knew he was going to follow me until I got home. About a mile from my house, the cop turned his light bar on. All I could think was, Oh no, that swig!

I pulled over and waited for him to come to my door.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
deepthi
Its a tough lesson that everyone should follow in their lives for their welfare and good living.You have obviously taken a right step and this lesson is extremely useful.Thank you for sharing this article in this site.
Aug. 01, 2015 at 11:54 PM • Report
caitopotatoe344
Great story. It's a tough lesson unfortunately so many have to learn. Thankfully you are okay and well.
Mar. 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM • Report
Myluvzu
This is an amazing and outstanding story I'm going to send this to my friend and maybe it will talk some sense into him. Thank You for sharing your story :)
Jul. 01, 2014 at 11:27 PM • Report
RelativetoWriting
A great story! Thank you for sharing. I know how easy it is to make a tiny mistake that send everything else flying to the ground. 
Aug. 05, 2013 at 10:29 AM • Report
Close