Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Gay Marriage in the US This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them.

Page 1 of 2

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

18 comment(s)
j1448
First of all, I applaud you for writing this piece. It takes a significant amount of courage to be this open on a topic that many people disagree with. As someone who identifies lqbtq+, I believe that love is love, no matter who it is with. I also believe that marriage should be an option for those who are in a committed relationship and want to spend the rest of their lives together. What you saw at Disneyland might have been appalling, but you also had the choice to walk away. (I definitely would have as well because public PDA creeps me out) I think that they have a right to celebrate their love, and if one has a problem with it, then they should walk away. Thank you for sharing your opinion! Even though we disagree on the matter, it was nice to hear an argument from the opposing side.
May. 30, 2016 at 3:47 PM • Report
gaygaygay
I sry i wrote teh cunstitooshun n i m reel ghei
Mar. 31, 2016 at 8:21 AM • Report
SherlockOf221b
I respect your opinion, though I disagree with it greatly. You should understand how it feels to be discriminated because of whom you love. That couple was most likely not forcing themselves and their relationship upon the kids. Their own parents would have been the ones to complain. Kids get curious when they see something they aren't used to, that doesn't mean they will want it, it just means they want to understand. There are many heterosexual couples in the world that are open about their relationship, even at a family park. It was not only homosexual couples that want to show their love, if only, heterosexuals know they are accepted so they tend to show off more. Christians don't own marriage, they don't control it, and homosexual marriage is not against the law, I respect you and your thoughts, but you should know that everyone has feelings and rights.
Mar. 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM • Report
Nated315
I respect that everyone is allotted an opinion of their own, this is why I liked your article. But is it really the fact that it is unconstitutional to marry two men or two women? Or do you have suppressed feelings perhaps? This is not an attack, just an attempt to get you to think and dive down deeper. If you look at the constitution, look at the 14th amendment. Gays, transgenders, blacks, whites, everyone, is covered. If any right is given to one group of people, all people are given that right. Everyone is included, even if they are not quote on quote listed in plain text. I plan on marrying a man someday, and I believe that the constitution protects that right. But thank you for your incite, and don't get discouraged.
Jan. 25, 2016 at 10:01 AM • Report
ItsTimeToBegin
Is this...sarcasm? I'm sorry if it's not true, but it kind of reminds me of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". It's just the fact that you use informal phrases such as "As you may know" and "I was taught by my parents to be a good person", and it seems like you're intentionally making the narrator seem unprofessional and uneducated. But you do have interesting metaphors though! I laughed when I read the one about the speed limit
Dec. 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM • Report
Qudsia
God has created us and we must restrict our desires to get the result in the afterlife. (for believers, no offence.)
Aug. 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM • Report
KittyKat1419
I agree with all of your statements. This is a very good article! Nice job and keep up the good work
Aug. 10, 2015 at 7:41 AM • Report
FeelingRandom
By saying that you don't like the idea of kids being exposed to personal lives, you are also saying that you don't like the idea of a heterosexual couple kissing in public. I am pretty sure that doesn't bother you. Also you mentioned what our founding fathers would say. They would disagree with many ideas that are considered normal today. They feared diversity in a way. Look at the US now. An idea in the beginning is always considered weird or wrong at first. In other words, I disagree with you.
Jan. 21, 2015 at 2:43 AM • Report
readlovewrite
I have to say that I disagree with you, but I am curious why it matters to you who a person chooses to love and marry. You say in your first paragraph that gays should not expose the public to their PERSONAL LIVES, so where do you draw the line between a personal decision and a governmental decision?
Nov. 18, 2014 at 7:25 PM • Report
Haleybearmonton
You just put into words exacally what i was thinking. (:
Oct. 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM • Report
Close