Gay Marriage in the US | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage in the US MAG

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

on Jun. 25 2019 at 1:10 pm
LadyCharlotteEdelweiss, Rocky Mount, Virginia

" Do not be confirmed to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, pleasing and perfect will of God. "

Romans 12:2. The one true, good and eternal book, God's holy spoken word, the Bible.

Amen brother! I totally agree with you.

on Apr. 21 2018 at 11:46 pm
emmyrose_ SILVER, Strafford, New Hampshire

"Books are a uniquely portable magic" -Stephen King

There are many reasons for marriage beyond the one you mentioned. While one can be to raise children, it is also to legitimize and finalize a relationship, to say "this is who I want to be with forever." It is cruel to deny someone this right in that sense, the right to marry who they love and want to grow old with.

on Oct. 23 2017 at 4:00 pm
WritingAddict03 SILVER, Saint Peters , Missouri

Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Thanks for putting this out there. However, I think that you should work on it a bit more. When writing an opinion piece, you should use evidence and logic to support your claim versus what others believe. You touched on some great points, but you should continue to improve this piece. Thanks for putting this out there, and for not being afraid to stand up for what you believe is right; especially on such a controversial topic.

on Apr. 13 2017 at 1:14 pm
ashthenerd1 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
@runandgo I totally agree. It says all kinds of outdated stuff, like how women can be stoned to death for just about anything if a man wants it to be so. You can't twist the words, but you have to apply them to our modern world. If I marry, I don't want to be divorced because I burn his dinner! Some parts of the Bible, religiously important as they may be, cannot be applied word for word.

on Jun. 30 2016 at 2:03 pm
JustAnIdea SILVER, Moraga, California

"Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" ~Friedrich Nietzsche

I definitely understand your point. While I personally believe that LGBTQ marriage should be legal (for a big part simply to avoid backlash by activist groups) I found it very educational to read an argument from the other side or this debate. And I do understand the part about the revealing sexual acts at a family location - that seems to be more common at pride events than anything else..

j2250 DIAMOND said...
on May. 30 2016 at 3:47 pm
j2250 DIAMOND, North Andover, Massachusetts
First of all, I applaud you for writing this piece. It takes a significant amount of courage to be this open on a topic that many people disagree with. As someone who identifies lqbtq+, I believe that love is love, no matter who it is with. I also believe that marriage should be an option for those who are in a committed relationship and want to spend the rest of their lives together. What you saw at Disneyland might have been appalling, but you also had the choice to walk away. (I definitely would have as well because public PDA creeps me out) I think that they have a right to celebrate their love, and if one has a problem with it, then they should walk away. Thank you for sharing your opinion! Even though we disagree on the matter, it was nice to hear an argument from the opposing side.

on May. 23 2016 at 2:28 pm
Angelique_h GOLD, Bradenton, Florida

"We cry, not because we are weak, but because we have been strong for too long."

This was VERY disappointing, tbh. When I saw the title and the fact that it was in the magazine, I was definitely looking forward to something else. Honestly, I'm not throwing shade at you, but you have 0 evidence supporting your point. The only two arguments you pose are, one, that some gay people had a protest and kissed in public and that it makes you and your future children 'uncomfortable'. Well, guess what? Long nails make me uncomfortable, but I'm not trying to make laws against is. Because it's none of my damn business. And your other argument comes from the religious side. I'm christian, and I've been volunteering in my home church for 6 years, and am on the worship team. But you know what? Love is love. If you don't like it, then the least you could do is present some actual evidence in your argument. And I'm sure you're aware of the same-sex marriage court ruling that happened last year. Progress is happening! Did you really expect a country with freedom of religion to adopt Christian views for all? Isn't that just a little strange? Personally, I don't think this is good enough to be in the magazine. The writing is sub-par, and it sounds like something a homeschooled 9-year-old would write under a picture of two girls kissing on Instagram. I hope you know that no one here is even going to THINK about giving a damn. If you don't like gay marriage, then don't marry a guy! Do you really wanna ban something for everyone just because you don't like it? I'm a vegetarian, do you see me trying to ban meat for everyone based on my own personal preferences? No, because I'm a decent human being who respects everyone's rights to their own opinions. And yes, you're allowed to express your opinion, but 'Gay marriage is against the law', is not a correct statement. Although I'm sure you wish it was, you can't stop progress! We've already won. It's about time you changed your outdated views.

on May. 22 2016 at 2:39 pm
ThrillQueen126, Seattle, Washington
In this country, religion is separate from state. Although there is nothing wrong with any religion or their laws, they should not be a part of the laws of a country. Gay marriage is not unconstitutional, no matter how many people disagree with it. Preventing someone from marrying who they love is unconstitutional.

gaygaygay said...
on Mar. 31 2016 at 8:21 am
gaygaygay, Grandville, Michigan
I sry i wrote teh cunstitooshun n i m reel ghei

on Mar. 29 2016 at 3:22 pm
SherlockOf221b BRONZE, Unalaska, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Wednesday has been cancelled due to scheduling errors"

I respect your opinion, though I disagree with it greatly. You should understand how it feels to be discriminated because of whom you love. That couple was most likely not forcing themselves and their relationship upon the kids. Their own parents would have been the ones to complain. Kids get curious when they see something they aren't used to, that doesn't mean they will want it, it just means they want to understand. There are many heterosexual couples in the world that are open about their relationship, even at a family park. It was not only homosexual couples that want to show their love, if only, heterosexuals know they are accepted so they tend to show off more. Christians don't own marriage, they don't control it, and homosexual marriage is not against the law, I respect you and your thoughts, but you should know that everyone has feelings and rights.

on Jan. 25 2016 at 10:01 am
Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York

Truth has many shades. It's not a matter of black and white, but many grays.

I respect that everyone is allotted an opinion of their own, this is why I liked your article. But is it really the fact that it is unconstitutional to marry two men or two women? Or do you have suppressed feelings perhaps? This is not an attack, just an attempt to get you to think and dive down deeper. If you look at the constitution, look at the 14th amendment. Gays, transgenders, blacks, whites, everyone, is covered. If any right is given to one group of people, all people are given that right. Everyone is included, even if they are not quote on quote listed in plain text. I plan on marrying a man someday, and I believe that the constitution protects that right. But thank you for your incite, and don't get discouraged.

on Dec. 18 2015 at 7:22 pm
ItsTimeToBegin PLATINUM, Lexington, Massachusetts
Is this...sarcasm? I'm sorry if it's not true, but it kind of reminds me of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". It's just the fact that you use informal phrases such as "As you may know" and "I was taught by my parents to be a good person", and it seems like you're intentionally making the narrator seem unprofessional and uneducated. But you do have interesting metaphors though! I laughed when I read the one about the speed limit

on Aug. 26 2015 at 8:40 am
Qudsia PLATINUM, Aligarh, Other

bravest of you are not those who can defeat a lion but the ones who can defeat anger

God has created us and we must restrict our desires to get the result in the afterlife. (for believers, no offence.)

123465 SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2015 at 9:44 am
123465 SILVER, London, Other
I'm not American, but wasn't America founded on the principal of equality for all? Banning gay marriage is very hypocritical of that principal; you're denying people human rights.

on Aug. 13 2015 at 11:55 pm
PinkSkies BRONZE, Goshen, Indiana

"Its not possible to fight beyond you're strength, even if you strive."

-Homer

Okay,I know how people are entitled to their opinion, but seriously, how old are you. Do you even understand how many years gay and lesbian people had to wait to be able to be married in the world. Also, since when is kissing sexual activity? It's also not against the law. I definitely disagree with your 'piece' and think you should change your mind, obviously.

on Aug. 10 2015 at 7:41 am
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
I agree with all of your statements. This is a very good article! Nice job and keep up the good work

Zwrites BRONZE said...
on May. 30 2015 at 11:15 pm
Zwrites BRONZE, Des Moines, Iowa

You are your own person; do not let anyone dictate your thoughts, opinions, or actions.

Ah, yes of course, a requirement for gay marriage is in fact to display affection in Disneyland. Oh, and I forgot this little tidbit: heterosexual couples NEVER exhibit PDA. As you are right and children should never see anyone kissing, I am sure their parents take extra care to shield them from public areas, television, and even their own relationship with one another to prevent them from seeing anything so inappropriate. Also, fun note: gay marriage is not unconstitutional and is legal in more states than it is illegal. Thank you for allowing me to read such nonsense; I plan to use this as an example to anyone looking for an illogical fallacy.

on May. 12 2015 at 11:06 pm
RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

Sexual love is not the only requirement for marriage, the bond between a man and a woman is something special. Men and women complete each other, the woman provides something to man that a man can get no other way and vice versa. What is that, you ask? Masculine and feminine qualities. The woman provides a feminine quality to the man that he can find no other way because men don't naturally harbor feminine qualities, the same way women don't naturally harbor masculine qualities. The same thing goes the other way around. Men provide a masculine quality to women that they can find no other way. Another thing, marriage's purpose is create a proper environment for the creation and rearing children. Society has downplayed that aspect and it's sad. Strong families create strong societies, and in order for children to develop properly they need a male paternal figure and female maternal figure. As mentioned before, there are the masculine qualities men naturally have that women don't, and certain feminine qualities women naturally have that men don't. Those qualities' importance cannot be understated, and the importance of such should be recognized by the state.

on May. 9 2015 at 2:58 pm

-Ronald Reagan

1. Marriage is not a civil right 2. Heterosexuals and Homosexuals should be held to same standards of public decency. 3. You are correct, but remember, that's a double-bladed ax 4. What does gay marriage have to do with slavery? You're saying because he does not support gay marriage, he's pro-slavery? What kind of "logic" are you following?

hgrath14 said...
on Apr. 15 2015 at 12:03 am
Let's say our roles are switched, and you were told you can't get married to your partner. You were head over heels in love, but you couldn't get that love recognized by the state. How would you feel if people stared at you like you were an outsider and you didn't feel comfortable showing affection in public for the fear of being denied service at a restaurant or other establishment? I'd be willing to bet it would make you uncomfortable. It is unfair that we are being denied rights that are taken for granted by straight couples. We are people too. We have feelings too. How would you like to plan your perfect wedding your entire life, but never actually be able to have it? It's pretty depressing. Just because I like someone who is the same sex as me doesn't mean I am any different than you. Also, there was also debate over the constitutionality of rights for women. The constitution said that all men were granted equal protection, not women, but women gained the same rights as men. On top of that, the constitution has been amended before, and can be done again if needed.