The Catcher in the Rye | Teen Ink

The Catcher in the Rye MAG

Jessica M’s review of J.D.Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye was an astoundingmisrepresentation of a novel that has remained in the forefront ofliterature for years. It is painfully obvious from her summation of thebook that she did not understand its point. She criticizes theprotagonist for being “whiny and repetitive,” but the novelmust have had some effect on her since her statements themselves arenothing but whiny and repetitive. She fails to make any validcriticisms.

Holden Caufield, though flawed, is a protagonist mostteens can identify with if they manage to see through his rash actions.Sure, most teens do not proposition prostitutes or wander around NewYork City, but they definitely pressure each other and run away fromtheir problems. Adolescents certainly have trouble dealing with changesthey face as they enter adulthood. Obviously not every teenager goes toboarding school or escapes to the city as Holden does, but we all reactto changes in ways that are not always appropriate. If you have notacted rashly out of inexperience or lived the consequences of poordecisions, then I suppose there is no way you can understand thisnovel.

For those who have not read the book, I hope you disregardMiss M’s review. A person who does not understand a piece ofliterature should not express views that may color those of people whohave not read the book. If you are going to criticize something, pleaseback up your arguments with something a bit more substantial thancomments like “Holden is a whiny, immature brat.”Apparently, the reviewer has been lucky never to have been scared andconfused by the changes most adolescents face.

AriShine GOLD said...
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

You are completely right! There are so many great works of literature that are misunderstood and misinterperated. Also, you have a beautiful writing style and an impressive vocabulary. Thank you so much for writing this! Keep writing!

Me101 said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 10:13 am
I Have never read this book but from what I have heard about people that murder people and that Maybe I dont wanna read this book we are reading it in my Engligh class this semester so maybe I should just skim through it

blackbird704 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

The Cathcer in the Rye changed the world of literature and although it was written more than sixty years ago is still completley pertinent to the lives of teenagers today and I believe always will be. I find that people either love this book or hate it. I am sorry for those who miss the whole point of it. It definatley changed my life.