Atheism | Teen Ink

Atheism

By Dahlia SILVER, Steuben, Maine
Dahlia SILVER, Steuben, Maine

Kill one and you're a murderer; Kill one hundred and you're a soldier; Kill them all and you're a hero.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” This was said by scholarly writer, Stephan F. Roberts in 1995 when he was involved in a religious debate with several church newsgroups when they asked why he dismissed evidence of god. A student, Cailin from Boston, Massachusetts wrote an essay that was published on thisibelieve.org and said, “I’m glad I don’t believe in God, I don’t really want to be associated with the people who do. ...Why can’t we all do what’s right, because it’s right? Why does Jesus have to tell me to love my neighbor, can’t I just love him because it’s the right thing to do? Should we have to be told right from wrong by some imaginary friend in the sky? ‘Love thy neighbor–’ What, unless he’s gay? Unless she had an abortion? Unless he’s a Muslim? Don’t even get me started with ‘Thou shalt not kill…’”

War, torture, genocide, terrorism, repression of liberties, promotion of false moralities, racism, prejudice, cruelty to animals, child abuse, suppression of scientific progress... Just a few of the many criminal monstrosities religion ordains upon our subjugated society.

When you’re intelligent enough to look past the absurd foolishness to answer the questionable logically, it’s like being declared a genius. But they don’t call it “genius-ism-of-religious-ism,” they call it atheism.

I know there is no such thing as god. What proof is there, the Bible? The Bible says god exists... and it also says donkeys talk. There’s two testaments with basic Christian religion: The Old Testament and the New Testament. The fact there had to be two because the first one was so inhumane should be reason enough to disprove the truth of it. But every religion is like that. There are so many different interpretations of god that there’s no possible way they can all be true.

Atheism is well... it’s not a creation tale embellished with pretty stories about death and floods and it doesn’t threaten you with eternal damnation, but at least it’s realistic. The only somewhat understandable reason for “having faith” besides pure stupidity, is fear. Fear of the answers to your questions. Like why are we here? No one knows that. There’s no point in pretending that there’s some huge plan for us. It’s pure cowardice and ignorance to have blind faith in someone that doesn’t even exist all because you’re scared of questions and refuse to accept science.

Not only is this dark reverie veiling the truth, but it’s hurting our society... badly. Religion thrusts rules upon its victims that alter their entire mindset. They become hypocrites and they discriminate against people who won’t preach the same thing. Their morals become warped and defected.

The bottom line is atheism doesn’t discriminate, it doesn’t judge, it doesn’t promote illegal things, and most importantly, it doesn’t hurt anybody.

Again, another English assignment. This one was a persuasive essay about why everyone should follow evolution and atheism and stop being stupid. I did take out a few things that were only in there for the sake of the assignment.

onegirlandapen PLATINUM, Madera, California

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

You say that atheism doesn't judge, welll it sure sounds to me like you are judging anyone who believes in anything by saying that its cowardly and plain stupidity.  you say, "why can't I just love my neighbor because itsthe right thing to do." Well how do you know its the right thing to do? Who installed that sense of rightness in you?

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

Why is it cowardly to have faith? If anything, it is brave, because you are trusting something you cannot see. You may say it is stupid (even though it is not) but it is not cowardly.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

How is it offensive to say you are going to Hell. If you believe in that stuff, then you will try to change. If you don't believe in hell, then why would it offend you if someone said you were going to hell?

Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

You've never read about the talking donkey? Baalam? In...Numbers, I believe it is. He tried to warn his master that there was an angel on the road who wouldn't let him pass, but the butthead just hit the poor donkey with a stick.

Also, I'm sorry if I offend you, but there are quite a few Christians saying how awful athiests are, and how they're going to Hell, blah, blah, blah. I realize this is not all of them, but there are some. In fact, I've seen more Christains dissing Athiests then I've seen Athiests dissing Christains.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

Atheism does discriminate. Atheists refuse to let Christians or Jews worship anywhere public. No mention of our God anywhere. Also, where in the Bible does it say donkeys talk? And speaking of discrimination, I haven't seen any Christians writing about how awful atheist are, yet many aetheists just love to critisize us. The Bible teaches us to love our neighbors and try to spread the gospel. If they won't accept it, then its their problem. Also, I will pray for you and hope you realize what has been absent from your life and maybe someday you'll accept Christ like SOOO many others.

oddpen SILVER said...
on Mar. 29 2010 at 9:36 am
oddpen SILVER, Shapleigh, Maine

You have to make the descending notes sound more like psychotic laughter!

~Dr. Keller~

Wow, you really don't like religion. I think that you have some very good points, but possibly a little too much voice. Still, good job.