Is Gay the New Black? | Teen Ink

Is Gay the New Black?

By interplanetjanet BRONZE, Sullivan, Maine
interplanetjanet BRONZE, Sullivan, Maine

"I am not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful." - Marilyn Monroe

In the sixties, it was a time of change, a time to break down the barriers and prejudices between blacks and whites. It was a time of great inspiration and fight and hope. What makes today so different. Gays don't have the right to marry in most places in the US, but comparatively the conditions are good. In some places even being gay or bisexual let alone marrying is punishable by death.
What I see in this issue is very similar to the segregation of the past between whites and African Americans. People think that they are better or above gay people in some way. I believe that they feel threatened that they will no longer have something that gays don't - marriage.
I think that it is time that we all unite and stop this from becoming an ongoing issue like segregation. We all have the power to defend equality and protect peoples right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
It is time for us to stop being so scared of difference and embrace it, to stop judging one another, and to be accepting of other's sexual orientation, religion, color, or ethnicity.

I am not gay, bisexual or transsexual. I just really love people.

MattMiller SILVER, Orange, California

I am who I am.

to: kyrstal2kute<3
its is true that in the BIBLE god said that he created adam and eve but if you do notice many Christians and Catholics consider being a homosexual a sin. Then i want to ask you this... Adam and Eve sinned! They ate the Apple which god specifically said not to... did they go to hell ... ????? my answer is NO and if they wouldn't of eaten the apple our world would be different, no? we would be walking naked not knowing that we were, but i'm sure somewhere on the line someone would and still change our world, everything has a reason, is what i'm trying to get here, god (i'm sad to say) made gays to help open peoples mind!

Jacqui said...
I agree with you.

i don not think that the problem is people thinking they are better than others, but fear. people fear what they do not know, and as a former homophobe, i can testify to this.

jesusluvsus BRONZE, Benton, Arkansas

The Bible

This is true, we are all people and all have feelings and the words that people use that they think are funny like fagot or butt pirate is like calling a black guy the n word... we should just be accepted in society.

Jacqui said...
on Feb. 19 2010 at 10:08 am
sorry, it's not a choice, it is the way some people just are. . .and I think that you should accept people for the way that they are and not judge them based on your religion. They may or may not have the same religion so using the bible is a very weak argument.

i disagree..yes it is a choice one person can make but i out of all people dont like the idea....GOD made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve..think about it

guinea_pig_girl BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
I completely agree with the idea. However, you could have developed the article a little more-but overall, good job!

on Feb. 16 2010 at 10:37 am
~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
Right on! I think we should break down the barries between homosexuals and heterosexuals. :) I agree, there is tension between the two groups, but I don't think it is as bad as backs and whites.