4Kids Entertainment Fails | Teen Ink

4Kids Entertainment Fails

By anime-fan13 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
anime-fan13 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

All that is nessacary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmund Burke

4Kids Entertainment thinks American children are stupid. Yes, you read that right, 4Kids Entertainment, the company that brought you childhood favorites like “Pokémon”, “Yu-Gi-Oh”, and “One Piece” apparently thinks that American can’t understand anything that has to do with other countries cultures. So, when 4Kids dubs (takes the original Japanese script and translates to English, before re-voicing), they ‘dumb them down’ so that they are graspable to American children. A prime example of the editing of culture is in “Pokémon Episode 12” of the first season, while the Squirtle Squad is eating Team Rockets lunch, James yells ‘Their eating all the Jelly Doughnuts and Éclairs.’ And the screen then cuts to one of the Squirtle eating an Oni-Giri (Rice Ball). This is a blatant statement of 4Kids view of American children’s intelligence. They also seem to be under the impression that American children have never been exposed to any kind of violence. This opinion is false. They erase guns from all shots, this has the largest effect in “Yu-Gi-Oh”, where they have censored out the guns, yet left the hands in the position you use for holding a gun, something that is mocked in “Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridge Series.” They also removed an entire episode from “Pokémon” because it focuses around guns and poaching, “Episode 35, The Legend of Dratini.” As you can see 4Kids is a company that takes censorship the extreme through cutting things they believe will confuse children sometimes leaving them more so.

Mermaid_Sister_Aru BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

What the hay?

Lol now they don't even exist anymore (technically speaking since Konami took over their office and continue to dub Yu-Gi-Oh til this day).

Nuclearnerd BRONZE, North Adams, Massachusetts

You won't know until you find out!

4Kids does indeed fail! When I think of all the evil the company has done, I cry a little on the inside... You should watch the, "What If 4Kids Got," videos. They're hilarious!