Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Hypochondriac This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Tim M, Auburn, NY

I have a sickness called hypochondria. Well, truthfully, I don’t consider it an illness. I just consider it a burden. When you have hypochondria, life doesn’t seem real. It feels like you’re watching a copy of yourself, who’s watching a copy of a copy.

Hypochondria, or the scientific term hypochondriasis, is a disorder where someone thinks he has every ailment known to man. Some hypochondriacs think they have the “big time” diseases like AIDS or cancer. But I think I have everything – food allergies, cancer, brain tumors, kidney disease, Lyme disease, kidney stones, cataracts, bipolar disorder, the flu, dyslexia, strep throat, ­appendicitis. Everything.

When I think I have food allergies, I refuse to eat certain things even if I’ve eaten them before.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

6 comment(s)
AlexSant
Great article man! I really felt like I was inside your mind while reading it. If any of you guys have time, check out my article titled Sports Medicine and Sports Scandals. It's currently at #12 on the nonfiction page!
Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM • Report
Vedant D.
This was a great article.  I think you have a gift for writing! Stay strong!
Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:25 PM • Report
Abygail C.
This is great, informative article! I personally don't know anyone who is like this but its interesting to hear about someone my age going through this. All it seems like that I worry about is school and homework and what my weekend plans are. I couldn't imagine going through something like this myself.
Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM • Report
candlelightwriter
Thanks so much for these thoughts. I suffer from hypochondria too, though not quite to the extent you're describing. Your description was accurate and potent. A great article straight from the heart. Thanks for writing this. Hope you can overcome.
Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM • Report
readlovewrite
This is really good, and I sometimes have inklings of the same fears - if to a lesser extent -  and you discribed it really well!  Hope you do outgrow it someday.
Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM • Report
Brittany1996
I thought this is awesome Nonfiction writing, especally for being 15! Great job, the begining paragraph grabs the reader in and makes them want to read more. You are very talented!
Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM • Report
Close