Why must love rely on gender? | Teen Ink

Why must love rely on gender?

By more_weight PLATINUM, Danville, Virginia
more_weight PLATINUM, Danville, Virginia

Tread softly, for you thread on my dreams.

When I was younger, my mother taught me many things but the one thing that stood out more than anything was that I should love everyone, no matter what. This, I will admit, is almost impossible due to the fact that there are some people out there that are far to evil or insane to be loved but nonetheless, I was told to love no matter the race, gender or sexuality of the...
Oh, wait. I wasn't told to love people whose sexuality went against the Lord. In fact, my mother was very much against homosexuality. She was so against it that I wasn't allowed to watch the Ellen DeGeneres Show because Ms. DeGeneres is gay.
I am completely lost. I'm supposed to love everyone but yet, when I come across a homosexual person, I cannot love them unless they become straight?
Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this idea? Am I the only one who looks at homophobic people in confusion because I cannot understand where they're possibly getting this unbelievable fear of another person who has done nothing to harm him?
Why must gender matter? Why did my mother tell me not to love someone for who they were because they loved a person of the same sex? I don't understand this logic that my mother thought was true. I look at a homosexual person and don't see a completely different specie but just another human that is doing what we, human beings have been doing ever since we appeared on this hunk of rock.
That human being is loving another person.
Where is the problem with that? Where? Where is the problem with two men walking in the mall, holding hands just like a straight couple does? Where is the problem with two women walking arm in arm down a beach?
Where is the problem? What is there to be afraid of? What danger do they oppose to you?
If you're a Christian, they go against your beliefs. Some Christians are fine with it and mostly its out of concern that they try to change homosexuals into straight people but then you've got the crazies out there who are so utterly and completely against homosexuals that they cheer at a funeral for a person who has died of aids. That isn't Christian. That is barbaric.
What have homosexuals done that has inspired such fear in people's hearts?
Why do we discriminate against them? Why do we hate them? Why do we attack them?
Why can't love just be about love? Why must we look at other people and judge whether or not we love them depending on who they love?
I look at the people around me but I don't base my love on whether they're straight or not. I base my love on whether they care what other people's chromosomes are or if they don't.
Love is love. Gender shouldn't be a factor.

There are many things in this world I hate but what I hate the most is stupid, unbelievable people who look at another person and hate that person because they're different. LOVE IS LOVE! Get over yourselves and see the truth!!!!!!

bewareofbunnyrabbits SILVER, Winona, Minnesota

"Empty yourself and let the universe fill you." -Yogi Tea

Amen! Yay :)

buckybear BRONZE, Zuni, New Mexico

"Nobody wins by playin' small, Remember who you really are, Fearless and beautiful..." RuPaul - "Champion"

i like the questions you've raised: what have gays done to be hated? they're just people like you and me and the next person. i also like to add that i agree with the whole barbaric idea of the extremists.

Ephesians4:1-3, Sandy Lake, Pennsylvania

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." - Gore Vidal

I understand where you're coming from, but I'd like to add my feelings as a Christian . In the eyes of God, a sin is a sin. He doesn't "rate" them like we humans do. I'm not going to judge people based on their sexuality, because it's between them and God. We don't have all the answers.