Looking for safe stereotypes? There's only one | Teen Ink

Looking for safe stereotypes? There's only one

By hellofio SILVER, Green Mtn. Falls, Colorado
hellofio SILVER, Green Mtn. Falls, Colorado

"Don't tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekov.

A week or two ago, I was watching the Super Bowl, as were most families in America. Half the reason I watch it is for the commercials, often the best in the advertising biz break the bank to get a few seconds that will stick to people’s brainstems, yet I’ve noticed a disturbing trend in commercials, not just in the Super Bowl, but all over TV.

What I’ve noticed is a stereotype, or at least, character portrayal, of the middle-aged, slightly dim, possibly overweight white man. Often this character is doing something absurd or nonsensical while a practical, whip smart wife lovingly rolls her eyes. Look at any commercial selling a family-oriented, particularly mom-oriented product, you’ll see it nearly everywhere.

Now if a woman were depicted in this role, feminists would begin to bang down the company’s door. “It’s sexist!” They’d cry, outraged by the sheer audacity of someone representing a woman as doing something wrong! Unheard of! How dare they! Don’t they have any respect for the opposing gender?

Or, say an African-American, or Hispanic, or any other race were given the roll of a goofy, none-the-less, lovable husband. Civil Rights groups would be up in arms over the supposed racism.

Now I am a woman, and I have nothing against people of another race. I am not saying that companies should start portraying ethnic stereotypes, especially in a demeaning manner. But come on, give this guy a break.

When it comes to stereotypes, nothing is safe, and everything is sacred. So why does the middle-class, white man get left out of this bunch?

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

LOL, I agree.