Is There Reason? | Teen Ink

Is There Reason?

By elfiewrites BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey
elfiewrites BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart."~William Hazlitt
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Our world is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace and we know more about killing than we know about living.
Are bombs the only way of setting fire to the spirit of a people?
Is the human will as still as the past two world-wide wars would indicate? The American spirit wears no political label. When sacrificing for our country, there are no Democrats; there are no Republicans; there are only Americans.

Never would I picture seeing my very own face shine in the light of my enemies’ drawn sword. I would never picture the loss and hope where I am controlled by a gun and my gun is controlled by my hatred-my hatred for the war alone. Nor would I ever picture my hands covered in my enemies’ blood.

A man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform; it is still the crime of murder. All of us, humans, are walking upon one earth, but we are still fighting as if we lived amongst many different planets. We all act as if we were separated by tall, brick, cement walls, isolating us from the true definition of peace.

A day will come when a gun will be exhibited in museums, just as instruments of torture are now, and the people will be astonished that such a thing could have been. A day will come when a young girl will ask her mother, “Mom, what was war?”

I would love to thank my English teacher for inspiring to write and telling me about Teen Ink. From this piece, I hope that we truly grasp that there are many other ways to solve our problems, without using violence.

musicalmisanthropist BRONZE, Bellville, Texas

"There is but one absolute. And this is it." -Me

awesome.....

on Nov. 10 2011 at 8:41 am
ImperfectlyBeautiful SILVER, Overland Park, Kansas
I don't like how you degrade animals like that. You act like it's an insult. We ARE animals, everyday, all day. If people would acknowledge that, then the world would be a better place.

human6 GOLD said...
human6 GOLD, Fasd, New Jersey

If you cannot convince a fascist aquaint his head with the pavement-trotsky
The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world, here, in our hearts. That world is growing this minute.“ durry

in answer to your question 

the state and law crime comes from the state

anarcho syndicalism now

monicalillian SILVER, Holladay, Utah

"forgive your enemies, nothing bugs them more."

I found this extremely inspiring. I love your work. It is simply fantastic

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

Steve, thank you for all of the positive comments- they made me smile! I'd love to read some of your work. For everyone else that commented, I really appreciate your comments. I think it's cool how we can all have different beliefs regarding war and still comment on the same article!

steve said...

wow you need actuall stimulation instead of teeninc then

steve said...
agreded this is true but unnessary

steve said...
you seem to actually seem to know what your talking about for sutch an acevement i congragulate you as for sutch I woul drecomend an actuall news sight or blog as to spred your idelology 

wtt777 said...
on Apr. 4 2011 at 9:51 am
wtt777, Tennessee
This is a very well written article, but what you are saying will NEVER happen. Humans will allways have disagreements because it is human nature. So in other words there will allways be war and sometimes war is the only option.

FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado

"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

This was a well written piece, but war is something I believe will never end because the human soul is corrupt and no one has figured out how to cleanse out sould completely to the the point of perfection. There will always be war, but it is something I wish the world could be without

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

i agree with misplaced texan14, until radicals and the monsters of this world are destroyed, then there will always be war.

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Wow, yet again, this piece gave me chills.  Your pieces are the only ones that have ever done that to me.  This was stunning.

olivia<33 said...

HOLY CRAP ELISSA U R AN AMAZING WRITER.  lol this is very well-written and the messages are incredible.  well done :D

-Olivia <3

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

We all wish for a world without war, but there will always be a bad guy who uses violence to get what he wants. And we must have heroes willing to give their lives to stop the bad guy. And they may have to use violence to stop him. As one quote goes "How far would Ghandi have gotten in Russia" Its saying that in a place like Russia, peaceful protest would have gone nowhere.

on May. 19 2010 at 8:40 am
Peace182 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Tennessee

Everyone has a dream, but its up to you to make that dream a reality. Life is to short not to.

i like this a lot, its a great pespective. keep writing.

bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Incredible! I love your aspect of violence and hatred! Keep writing! :)

Shahed GOLD said...
Shahed GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"People are like tea bags, they don't realize their own strength until they're dropped in hot water "
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway."

this is really nice! great words! I see why people like it so much! I gave you 5 stars, I wish they had more!

Check out my work, I hope you like it!

monicalillian SILVER, Holladay, Utah

hey i really like this, it brings a whole new meaning to life...keep writing, youre really good, and i love reading your work

Sweatheart SILVER, BPT, Connecticut

I can do anything

wow this is really good and i agree with everything your saying keep on writing

brianj BRONZE said...
brianj BRONZE, Jeannette, Pennsylvania

"the real trouble with reality is that there's no background music"
"i don't suffer from insanity. i enjoy every minute of it."
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” -Marianne Williamson. Trying so hard to believe this but SO not succeeding…..

wow......you are ridiculously passionate about your subject and you express it geniously...i mean it....it may seem like just a lot of "ly" words but tis true.....