Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By Ellynharris GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Ellynharris GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I’m from the Oak trees swaying in the wind. I’m from the area near the farms and the golf course. I’m from the sledding hills in the winter and the blooming lilies in the spring. I’m from the beating sun in the summer, and the turning leaves in the fall. I’m from the golden retriever and the chocolate lab playing in the mown grass. I’m from the place where the tanning chairs lay on the deck in the sun to obtain the optimal amount of color. I’m from the place where you can go swimming when it’s -10 because the pool is indoors.

I’m from the prime rib on Christmas Eve and Grandma’s Christmas cookies every winter. I’m from fettuccini carbonera on my birthday. I’m from the five Christmas celebrations in December. I’m from the place where horse shows are the source of a vacation from April through September. I’m from the ribbons covering the paint on the bedroom walls and the plaques throughout the house. I’m from football games on Sundays and One Tree Hill on Monday.

I’m from “Treat other the way you wish to be treated,” and the place where “You don’t always get what you want.” I’m from the place where, “Please and thank you,” are appreciated. I’m from the truth getting you far in life. I’m from the place where the only name to call it, is home.