Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending, San Ysidro, CA

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

11 comment(s)
Ray--yo
I don't really care much about the singer, just liked the way you put your view forward. Good writing!
Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM • Report
cute thang
I hate lady gaga she is fake no but and no boty.
Jan. 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM • Report
xonikkitayor
i think this artcle was well written, but your basiclly just judging her by her apperence on the outside. If you really take the time to actually listen to some of the things she has to say and listen to her songs closely, she actually is a very genuine person; but everyone is intitled to their own opinion.
Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM • Report
Becky97
You hit the issue right on the head! I totally agree with everything said in this article and it's plain that Lady Gaga has given up what she once was in the name of gaining recognition. She's a sell out. Also, the article was extremely well written. It's professional and smooth, an instant favourite for me.
Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM • Report
KatieWorthington
I totally agree with you. While I do like some of Gaga's music, I think she's lost sight of herself amidst the costumes, the make up, and above all, the FAME. If you take all that away from her, what do you have left? Sadly, at this point, her image is basically what defines her in the industry, not her talent.  
Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM • Report
TimeTraveller
I disagree. :) And yes you may call me crazy and probably a freak for this, but I love Lady Gaga, or I say, mother monster. To begin with, many people don't see the true person in her behind the fame and the "hideous" fashion, every bit of her is devoted to art and music and by wearing "outrageous" outfits, she is expressing herself as an artist who isn't bounded by the norms of the society, this has no negative influence in her fans. I am from the same community and I witness that, they are brave and really nice, but fierce when it comes to defending our idol.  You compare her with her old pictures from childhood, let me tell you - she was never normal haha. You can see her pictures of her wearing red lipstick and dark outfits - a little weird for her age. She was bullied throughout her high school because others thought that she was a freak, on one such incident, one of the bullies threw her in the trash. Her first and only dream was to be a singer, she learned to play the piano by ear at age 4 and took lessons when she was 5. She was always the weirdo who played in crazy outfits at clubs and theaters and go go danced to Black Sabbath. Fame never changed her. (On the side note, do you realize that a lot of the outfits she wear are made by elite fashion designers? Fashion is fine art, not for domestic use that is why we think most of it is eccentric.) Further in, she brought pop and dance music into the big scene, once again, music can't remain blues forever, or rock forever; it must evolve and that is what sells. Her transition from The Fame to Born This Way meant a transition in terms of music and fashion. Some songs have a deeper meaning than what it seems, Speechless is a good song which shows her lyrical skills. Edge of Glory was dedicated to her grandfather who passed away, "Hair" is about freedom of expression, "Marry The Night" - which the general public thought was repulsive - is based on her actual story of how she got rejected by a record label but still dared to make it. "when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay." Just because she dresses differently doesn't mean that she can't have a voice in the society. We understand her not because she manipulated us in her spells, but because we know her story, we know who she is and who she was, and the fact that even through rejection, bullying, bulimia etc. - she paved her way to become who she is today. A global icon dubbed as the "Rising Queen of Pop". The road to success is not as straight as it seems. She says, "The most important thing in people's creativity is to honor your creativity and not ever ignore it because of what the society is projecting us." She may seem to have the fame to her head like other celebs, but she's really humble and down-to-earth. This is what she said at the Monster Bal Tour concert (at Madison Square Garden, sold out.) "I used to dream and I used to pray that one day one person would believe in me, so when you( the audience) leave tonight, I want you to know that at least one person believes in you (bows)." You can say these things once, twice, thrice and call it fake but she's been saying it all her career and believing it all her life. If you still think I've been brainwashed and that it's fake and artificial, don't worry there are thousands more trying to bring her down, telling her to die and kill herself - but millions of us will always be there for her. xoxo
Jun. 05, 2013 at 9:15 AM • Report
nikiiiZ
Agree with this %100000!
Nov. 06, 2013 at 9:37 PM • Report
WriterHead
i agree with you. i think lady gaga is very entertaining, however, what you said really opened my eyes about artists pretty much selling their souls just so people can listen to their music or even get attention. i always said that if i ever became famous, i would never not be myself. i would always remain humble. thank you. :)
May. 01, 2013 at 12:43 PM • Report
mollybug13
Im not really a big fan of Lady Gaga either not just because im not allowed to listen to her music. She just seems so fake. I want to be a singer too but I dont wanna do it if I have to dress up like a self glorified barbie doll and only sing about inappropriate things.  Really thought provoking piece. 5 stars
Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM • Report
Novelist123
A beautiful new take on the image that is Lady Gaga
Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM • Report
Close