Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By taylor hazelwood SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
taylor hazelwood SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Ever since I was little, I have had an interest in history. Every chance I got, I took a history class. When it came to my junior year, I signed up for AP European History; and I was psyched. But that first day was nerve racking; I didn’t know who would be in my class, or who my teacher was. I knew from the beginning that this class wasn’t going to be easy, and that I was going to need to study a great deal. That’s when I met Mr. Reichle. And from the moment he began talking, I knew I would be okay.

Mr. Reichle has a way with teaching. I thought AP Euro was going to be the same old history class with taking notes, and tests. Mr. Reichle, though, made it more than that. Everyday I looked forward to his class. He incorporated his students in the lessons by using the SMARTboard for little activities that helped us remember events. And he not only did that to make sure we were listening and paying attention, but he did it to make sure we understood what he was explaining.
When we didn’t do so great on a test or essay, he found ways to have us redo it, and improve our score. Also, he’s great with finding ways to help improve my work, whether it’s a six-page packet with multiple choice questions, or simply sitting down and going over events with him. It’s easy to see Mr. Reichle wants his students to succeed.

That’s not the only reason why I loved going to his class, though. Mr. Reichle has this way of making me laugh. No matter how bad of a day I was having, he always put a smile on my face. When he has crazy, new ideas (that seem out there), he gets so thrilled about them. He cracks jokes, gives high-quality, motivational speeches, and screams “Boom!” when he’s in high spirits about something. Even when it’s a serious situation, there always seems to be some sort of laughter in the room with Mr. Reichle.

Mr. Reichle to me isn’t only my history teacher, but he is also my role model. He can see when I am struggling with something, and he comes up with a solution every time. I have never had a teacher that was so patient and understanding, and this is why I would like to nominate Ron Reichle as Educator of the Year.