Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Healer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Lucia T., Cedar Park, TX

Ekkehart sees her for the first time on the bridge, in the carriage he has ridden for four frostbitten nights. The moon is a sliver of old corrupted lime, casting its light onto a city pearly with cold. Snow falls in dagger crystals, knifing through the air. It slashes at the top of the carriage, at its fur-lined curtains. It slashes through them and into Ekkehart’s lungs, and he coughs.

Ekkehart’s teacher turns, ancient and worn, his pale face a desiccated star. He speaks in a low rice-paper hum. “This wind carries pestilence. You of all people know.”

Ekkehart knows, and pulls the curtains tight. He tries not to remember, but still the images flow, like the ebb of blood in the heart-tides, like the rush of textures when he feels for disease. Mother bent over a bubbling brew, in the time before he learned to feel, the happy time.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

14 comment(s)
KittyKat1419
Amazing so full of detail and description....:):):)luv this
Aug. 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM • Report
lovebug14
this is the best i have ever read. What I want to know is how he got blind.
Aug. 09, 2015 at 7:13 PM • Report
Amai-kun
Very sweet. I loved the way this was written and I hope I can read more.
Mar. 23, 2015 at 6:53 PM • Report
Ride4Life
I am so, so, so impressed! Keep writing, no matter what.
Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM • Report
Ray--yo
The moment I read the word Ekkehart, boxes started ticking. The description of the setting, and many little moments in the story, were simply serene. And by the way, I am literally the son of Madhava, strange....
Dec. 02, 2013 at 6:59 AM • Report
JRaye
This is such an incredible peice! A beautiful story :) You've got a gift just as powerful as your characters. Amazing job!
Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM • Report
Ray--yo
The moment I read the word Ekkehart, boxes started ticking. The description of the setting, and many little moments in the story, was simply serene. And by the way, I am literally the son of Madhava, strange....
Dec. 02, 2013 at 6:54 AM • Report
Ray--yo
Meant to be a new comment, sorry!
Dec. 02, 2013 at 6:57 AM • Report
RelativetoWriting
Your descriptions are commendable! However, I found the beginning a little confusing. Overall, nice work!
Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM • Report
ImmortalMind
This is one of the few pieces I see on this site that I want to write fan fictions about XD Amazing job! Do the world a favor and keep writing :)
May. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM • Report
Close