Letter to Hester Pyrnne | Teen Ink

Letter to Hester Pyrnne

By alexkohrman SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
alexkohrman SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio

Rhode Island
October 1649

Dearest Hester Prynne,

I haileth from Rhode Island. Thou story of infamy hath traveled quite a distance from town to town. Thou story of tragedy and betrayal saddens me greatly and leaves me abashed. Thou imprisonment and subsequent ostracizing were considered absolutely unacceptable to myself and others in my community. I can only image how difficult and ponderous it must be to care for a child on this wild continent. The fact that thou were able to raise and care for her under these dire straits is a testament to your true strength. I could not believe that the leaders of your colony tried to have your child removed from your warm and loving bosom. When I discovered that your paramour was Dimmesdale, the much renowned reverend of Boston, it was a complete assault to my sensibilities. The great minister would be the last person I would expect to break the laws of God and brazenly leave thou to suffer the consequences by thyself. Although he may have suffered more than thee from his guilt at least he managed to confess his sins with his last breaths. However, the true antagonist of your plight, Roger Chillingsworth is iniquity at its highest point. It chilleth me to the bone to hear the stories of his odious nature that circulate about him. I hear his countenance resembles the Grim Reaper with his hunched shoulders and dark complexion. The fact that he managed to drive a holy man to his death is surely a sign of his demonic possession.
Thou charity is uncommon and refreshing and at least thou remained true to yourself throughout thou ordeal. Thou proudly wore your A, and kept the secret of Pearl’s father, thusly protecting the minister’s pristine reputation. Thou humility has gained the respect of New England due to thou perseverance and diligence under thou imposed lifestyle. Thou proudly wore the red A and turned its meaning to a badge of honor. The red A no longer means adulteress but one that stands for able. If thou ever want to relinquish Boston and live in a colony with religious freedom, void of sumptuary actions and one that has great respect for women, thou and Pearl should move to Rhode Island which would be a utopia for someone of thou disposition. A woman of thou independent nature and self-sufficiency would fare quite well. I would enjoy meeting thou and learning first hand thou story so I could expound on paper for future generations to enjoy. I think thou story has a fundamental resonance of human nature at its best and worst. Future societies could use thou story as a lesson on how to treat their fellow human beings. I behest that thou take this letter to heart and travel with haste.

Truly yours,
Master Alexander