Animal Rights (Slaughterhouse Conditions) | Teen Ink

Animal Rights (Slaughterhouse Conditions)

By ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Today in America the average person consumes anywhere from two hundred and sixty pounds to three hundred pounds of meat a year, according to a Cha-Cha search engine. That is despicable and extremely hard to fathom! This is exponentially more than any other country on earth! That is despicable and extremely hard to fathom! Why, what makes meat so accesable here? What drives us to consume fatty meats more than any other food group? The answer lies in the cheap manufacturing skills of many slaughterhouses.

In America over 99% of slaughterhouses are upheld in a traditional regard, leaving only 1% to organic and free-range slaughterhouses. A traditional upholding usually means that things are kept in a manner where animals aren’t being given the rights they deserve. Rights like: freedom to clean quarters, rights to death with anesthesia and the rights to be steroid free. Many farmers do not respect these rights and are rarely penalized for the lack of adhering to them. Why, you may ask? Because it is cheaper for these farmers to keep their livestock in unkempt quarters, cheaper to kill them ruthlessly (rather than humanly), and more cost efficient for them to fatten them up with steroids in a short period of time.

Many other things go on behind the scenes, as well. Such as the time when a routine health inspector went in to a local Dallas plant for a checkup and found live cattle suspended from slaughtering machines. Along with this he found blood and animal guts strewn about the working floor. These areas are supposed to be kept clean of blood and animal organs to ensure quality to the meat. But this one inspector’s discovery should come as hardly a surprise. Many of these American slaughterhouses think they are exempt from rules. They simply think they don’t have to adhere to proper protocol, because their shunning of the rules has gone unnoticed for an extended period of time.

Imagine, you are a young calf, just born, ready to live the normal life every cow should be allowed to have, when suddenly it is cut short, by a man with a prod, a prod he will proceed to stick in to you to kill you, with no anesthetic. This is the life many animals lead today. A horrid life, a life where they spend thirteen months in a cage with other animals, all the while being injected with steroids, having bones broken due to constant abuse, and being forced to eat fattening corn based products.

People who disagree with my point of view may say, “Animals have no feelings, there for have no rights!”. I disagree; I believe animals have the ability to understand their surroundings, they know when they are being deprived of the usual commodities that every animal should expect. They are far more intelligent than we give them credit for, and I think we are foolish when we say things like “animals have no feelings”, and then deriving from that, that they have no rights.

So why do we eat so much meat as Americans? Because it is cheap, accesable and something that we seem to over look when we try to improve our world. We continually neglect the subject of Animal Rights and barley gives more than a moments thought. Are we uncomfortable with the fact that we have eaten things with feelings, faces and beating hearts? Yes, so we will continue to ignore it until it is too much for us to bear. When we finally realize eating animals that have been treated this way is not only hurting them but is hurting us as well. Eating two hundred and sixty to three hundred pounds of meat a year is an unimaginable amount of fat and unhealthy acids. Eating this way has resulted in heart disease, strokes and untimely deaths. Yet, we press forward with no seeable end in the near future.

As a concluding point, I urge those who still are not convinced (of the horrible cruelty that occurs every day in meat plants), to switch to free-range meats. Free-range meats are much better for you because the animal was fed well, treated well, killed with anesthesia and not injected with steroids. In all honesty what is stopping you? Why don’t all meat eaters eat animals that have been treated right? Cost may be one factor, but if you think about it you are benefiting your health; if you benefit your health you don’t have to go to as many doctor visits. Doesn’t that seem worth it? Throw out all your preconceived notions of Animal Rights activism, and think, what is really holding you back? Any respectable human would rather have an animal be treated well than to be treated poorly. What allows there to be Animal Right laws in other conditions but not in the situations where the animals were bread to be killed? This is simply food for thought; I hope I have changed at least a portion of your opinions on Animal Rights.

on Sep. 29 2016 at 12:33 pm
Most slaughter houses are very humane.They use a captive bolt gun which renders them senseless and then they slit their throat while they cant feel anything and they die very quickly.People perceive that all slaughter houses are inhumane because of just one. Where are the videos of houses doing things right. I personally run a cow calf ranch of 800 head and can attest beef is raised humanely as cattle are kept on range.There is also no reason to beat or stress cattle because this causes them to be "Dark cutters" which cant be sold on market and lowers profit.So pretty much all beef in stores is raised in low stress environments to prevent "dark cutters" which is the result of bad treatment.

pengyen said...
on May. 30 2013 at 7:53 pm
pengyen, Missoula, Montana
Dr. Temple Grandin has done some amazing work creating regulations for slaughter houses. She has made such an improvement to what they originally were. At least with her ways, there are two treatments for putting the animals under. CO2 tanks, where it acts as an anesthetic and electrical shock, which is applied to the brain and heart to insure no pain and efficant unconsiouness.

pengyen said...
on May. 30 2013 at 7:50 pm
pengyen, Missoula, Montana
Dr. Temple Grandin is one of the most respected animal behavorist in the country. Shes autistic and has over come some of these challenges to help animals. The way her slaughter houses are run, are the most humane slaughter houses you will find. All slaughter houses are going to be looked at as cruel but at least she has found a way to aliviate all stressors and create a pain free enviroment for the animals.

on May. 12 2011 at 8:54 am
i aggree with this like none other i can't stand the idea of eating a animal and it is wrong :)

ZoeJgirl said...
on Aug. 10 2010 at 11:23 pm
ZoeJgirl, Johnstown, Pennsylvania

" were so hot we make fire stop, drop, and roll<3" " I love you like a fat kid loves food"- lil wayne

" to the world you maybe one person but to one person, you maybe the world"

I admire you, this is an amazing article. i agree with all of this. slaughter houses need to be stopped. one vegetarian saves over 100 lifes of animals that could have been killed in slaughter houses. thank you for this article, I think many people read this and you inspired them

Bea Elliott said...
on Jun. 3 2010 at 7:17 am
Giving people a place to start... Fine.  But please don't suggest, even remotely that any "food" animals have "rights" - It simply is not so...

on Jun. 2 2010 at 10:39 am
ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Bea Elliot, I was simply giving an alternative to those who are strongly opposed to vegetarianism, because some people will not even consider not eating meat. I would rather have a meat eater eat an animal that was happy for the majority of it's life, than eat an animal that was tortured all it's life. I feel giving this sort of alternative option helps bridge the gap between most Americans, and vegetarian Americans. It gives them a place to start.

on Jun. 2 2010 at 10:37 am
ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

wvodriver said...
on May. 29 2010 at 9:32 am
Wow! your teachers are brave to tell you the truth in a society so influenced by industry I applaude them for challenging the staus quo. I also reccomend the book 'the face on your plate'

on May. 29 2010 at 3:39 am

I find refreshing and applaudable that you, as a teen, recognize and condemn the horrific torture suffered by animals bred for meat.  I admire you, and I admire the stand you have taken to inform others--surely, young people such as you who spread the word among their peers represent one of our best opportunities to end the suffering.

I would, however, add a suggestion:  instead of advising people of a different way to kill our non-human  planet mates, the animals, advise them, rather, on different ways to eat. 

You could point to the negative impact that meat has on our health, followed up by the positive health benefits of a plant-based diet, citing from health experts such as Dr. Neal Barnard.  Here's a link to a youtube video where Dr. Barnard discusses controlling diabetes through a low-fat vegan diet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs6MSdG2W0

Also, you could include mention of some vegan meat alternatives--for example, Boca vegan burgers and Boca 'burger' crumbles.

Finally, I again applaud your recognition of, and your compassion for, the suffering of the animals; and I strongly urge you to continue on this path of mercy, informing others and urging them to go vegan.

veggiegirl said...
on May. 29 2010 at 12:38 am
Would you rather be killed humanely or with pain dulling medication? Of course, the answer is neither! You want to live, and animals do too. There is no "humane" slaughter. People do not have to eat meat to live. It's a choice. Like Paul McCartney said, "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarian". Consider the suffering you spare yourself thinking about.

bea elliott said...
on May. 28 2010 at 7:18 pm

What you are suggesting - switching to "free range" meats gives absolutely no "rights" to animals either.  If animals are to possess one right it should be the right to live their lives.  Any other "right" is a sham!  These so called "happy" animals that are peacefully grazing upon "gOd's" green grass wish to live just as much as the cows in a feedlot... Just as much as the hens in an "egg factory"... Just as much as pigs in a warehouse.  "Free Range" means nothing to the animal approaching the kill box at the slaughterhouse.  The fact remains that we do not "need" to eat any of these creatures! We can thrive on a plant based diet - All of the killing whether they are "happy" animals or not - Is done without "necessity".  And that makes the whole ugly habit of meat eating cruel and unacceptable no matter how the flesh was obtained.

Finally, regarding T Grandin... She is hardly an "Animal Rights Activist".  If she was, she would not be creating more efficent methods to take animals lives from them.  

on May. 25 2010 at 5:53 pm
WE READING TWO BOOKS CALLD FAST FOOD NATION && THE JUNGLE.THESE BOOKS TLK ABOUT THIS TOPIC..THIS STUFF IS REALLY GRUESOM && IM GOING TO ASK MI TEACHER IF WE CAN WATCH "FOODINC."

on May. 24 2010 at 11:09 am
ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Thanks guys! And I will look up Dr. Temple Gradin!

on May. 17 2010 at 9:57 am
Booshay777 BRONZE, Madawaska, Maine

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

I agree with you 100%, they do have rights and it's not right what they do to them.

on May. 15 2010 at 7:09 pm
Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

Look up Dr.Temple Gradin,h leading animal rights activist, and former cattle rancher. She has an award winning movie out about her and the things she has done for cattle. If you want to be sick to your stomace, watch FoodInc. a movie about the cattle industry.