Writer- Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Writer- Ellen Hopkins

By DearMissWhite GOLD, Sandy, Utah
DearMissWhite GOLD, Sandy, Utah

1. Impulse is my favorite of all of your books. What inspired you to begin writing this book? On your website you said that sometimes reader stories "inspire" you

This book was inspired by a couple of things. I live in a small valley of around 1000 people and we lost two teens to suicide in one year. It was devastating. And my younger daughter used to work in a place like Aspen Springs. The stories she shared were heart-wrenching.

2. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up? Besides a writer I mean. :)

Let's see. Equestrian star. And lawyer. Until I figured out what being a lawyer meant. I still love horses, but don't have time to keep them anymore.

3. Who or what inspired to become a writer? Did you have an epiphany? Or was there some random act of God that made you decide what to do with your life?

I always wanted to be a writer. When I met my current husband and we moved to tahoe, I had sold my business, so had a little income to return to what I thought I'd do--journalism. Freelanced for years. Then I became interested in children's nonfiction. But always wrote poetry and dabbled in short stories. Then because of what happend with my daughter, I fell into writing YA fiction. And that is where I belonged all along.

4. Do you have any plans for other novels after you finish Fallout and Perfect?

Not sure what the next book after PERFECT will be. But I have lots of story ideas. So we'll see.

5. What made you decide to write your books in poetry form instead of the standard novel form?

I write in verse because I like the challenge of making every word count and because I think it pulls readers deeply inside my characters. Plus the white space and visual interest encourage more reluctant readers to dive into my stories.

6. Do you have any advice for aspiring young writers?

Advice: Write every day, and try to write cross genre, or do many different kinds of writing. And read. Lots. Also cross genre. Try something you wouldn't normally read, if only to see how the author creates the story.

7. Do you have any weird habits that you do while you are writing?

Not weird habits, but bad habits. Any time I get a little stuck, I go to social networking stuff. Somehow I still manage to finish my books!

I actuall got to meet Ellen and she signed some of her work. I couldn't figure out how to put a picture on here. Sooo...

on May. 1 2015 at 11:03 am
AllSoPlayfulWhenYouDemonize BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

"Our passion is our strength."
-Billie Joe Armstrong

This is SO cool!(: