Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Making the River This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By J.Octavian.R, lake nebagamon, WI

Diary of Thomas Warren: July 27, 1864 I crouched behind the large willow that overlooked the woodland down the hill, and let my breath come in halting gasps. Cool and soft breezes brushed over me, caressing my skin. My eyes roved around the surroundings, alert for trouble. In each flutter of feathers I heard musket fire and the shouts of my pursuers. Kneeling, I tore strips of cloth from my tattered pants and wound them around my bare feet. I made each movement slowly and deliberately, letting my strength return.

After I had regained my breath, I stood and made a beeline for the glimmering water in the distance. If I could make the river, I could float downstream to camp; if I made it to the river, I would live.

Hearing a commotion, I looked behind me.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
Very nice job! I like to write about the Civil War myself, and I think this was truly a fantastic depiction of it. Most writers have a very hard time depicting Confederates as humans, which really irks me, but you did so very adroitly. Congratulations.
Jan. 04, 2014 at 12:02 AM • Report
Usually I don’t like short stories. The characters don’t give me as much as if I’d read a long novel. Your story was different. I have never felt desperation as strongly, with just reading about it. I didn't exactly like Thomas as a character, nor do I like the cause he’s fighting for, but I was extremely relieved he felt no pain and that he believed it was the work of God. He deserved that. 
Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM • Report
Brilliant!! I love your work, and how it felt like it was how you made the reader feel like they were actually in the moment, and you showed both perspectives of the war. Well Done and keep writing!!
Jun. 04, 2013 at 8:29 AM • Report
This is very good. The way you mangaged to incorporate emotion into an intense scene was very well done. Keep up the great work!
Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM • Report