Is Homosexuality a Choice? | Teen Ink

Is Homosexuality a Choice?

By xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other
xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

Put yourself in the place of someone who is gay!

You are walking down the street with the person you love. They slip their hand inside yours. As soon as that people start glaring at you. Children yelling out to their parents asking why two men are holding hand? People look over their shoulders at you and rude, whispered comments reach your ears. Then a group of school kids walk past you. One yells out ”poof!”

That doesn’t happen just once. That happens every time you are in public and you show affection to the person you love. It would be so hard to live a life that you have to hide.

Some people think it is a choice to be gay. It isn’t a choice. No-one would pick a life of discrimination over a life without. It’s just how some people are.

Although it is not a choice to be gay, it is a choice to peruse a homosexual relationship. But why would you lie to yourself. People who peruse homosexual relationships just want to be happy and we should have no say in that. That is purely a personal decision.

I am tired of hearing people say that it is a disease. A disease is a something that is harmful to the person who has the disease. Being gay has never hurt anyone. If anything it is a relief to homosexuals to finally show the world who they are.

I know this sounds clique but don’t judge a book by its cover. Gay people are just like you or me. Lots of them are really nice, they care and they’re often not judgmental.

There is only one reason why I am writing this is because when you are out and you see two men or woman holding hands I want you to not look back over your shoulder or whisper something. I want you to realize that being gay is ok and that discriminating against homosexual people is not. There is no excuse for you to be rude to gay people.

I think that we should all have the choice to love who we want. That is why I am writing this.

xxzoE SILVER said...
on Jan. 12 2011 at 3:54 am
xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other

Thanks so much. It is small mindedness that is holds people back from really experiencing pure joy and happiness.

MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

This is wonderful!

I know numerous people who are gay, and they're some of the best freaking people I've ever met!

People who see someone in an angry light simply because they like people of the same gender are small minded idiots. And *they* deserve to be seen through narrowed eyes.

Love it! <3

xxzoE SILVER said...
xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other

They do. What I hate is when people say they hate them because they are gay. Its a bit like would you rather some straight guy who bashes woman, robs people and hurts innocent people or a gay guy who just wants to be accepted in your community. Im pretty sure no ones going to pick the first one. 

Jessyka8985 said...
I agree Gays have the right to love whomever they want