Please Look Away | Teen Ink

Please Look Away

The teacher stood in front of the room. He wouldn't shut up about something about health. Or was it science? But it gave me time to think. I knew I would get an A on his test, so why listen to worthless correction?

She sat next to me. Her hair fell in her face as she did not pay attention. She was to busy staring at the F on her hand-back papers. She did not look sad, shocked or even upset about the bad grades. She only looked neutral. Like a lake that was drying up in the sun.

Movement. Everyone in the class was still, even me. I was staring at the wall behind the teacher, but the girl next to me was moving. Opening up her binder, she pulled out a pair of sharp scissors. I gritted my teeth together and looked sharply at her.

"What?" she whispered as she stabbed the blades down on her wrist. The skin burst open and started to bleed slowly. I winced. There wasn't enough blood left in her for to bleed.

I noticed a boy turned around to look at us. His eyes were wide and his face was disgusted. I felt the need to protect her. To make the boy stop looking.

"Turn around." I whispered to him, but he didn't listen. Still staring at her.

What happened, I was not sure. In the principle's office, I was told that I hit the boy in the face four times. I could not remember. But he looked away from her. She was safe. From everyone else that wanted to put her away. She was safe. But now I could not be there to protect her from herself.

on Jul. 18 2010 at 6:34 pm
sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

OOPS!!! haha... ok, misread the last line. Thought it said "protect her from myself" Ignore that above comment. This is fabulous.

on Jul. 18 2010 at 6:32 pm

Good job. I like the simpleness. Don't like the last line. Very confusing and detached from the rest of the story. Curious: what are you trying to say here???

KK2013 GOLD said...
on Jul. 17 2010 at 4:53 pm
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

Wow, omg that was creepy. but good.

I do not understand your simile of the lake drying out in the sun...  what were you trying to say?

i don't know what it is, but the last paragraph's wording bugs me..... IDK. 

Wow, good job!

on Jul. 17 2010 at 4:29 pm
brennamarie BRONZE, Eldorado, Illinois

"Life is like art, is moves in beautiful curves."

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

You gave me a shock, without really giving me one. :)
That takes talent for sure.
Keep writing and I will keep reading.

on Jul. 12 2010 at 10:08 pm
Gabriella.MM BRONZE, Underhill, Vermont
This was so straight forward, but in such small words it had so much meaning and power

on Jul. 12 2010 at 1:49 pm
hannahd772 BRONZE, North Providence, Rhode Island
this is powerful. i don't feel embrassed to read it, even though it seems that i should. i really like it.

on Jul. 12 2010 at 12:23 am
BaileyBaby13 BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington
that's exactly what I was thinking,(:

on Jul. 11 2010 at 8:09 pm
Ellawind PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today.

Wow- really powerful and there, even though it wasn't that long. You don't even need to know what happened next- you just know that what happened, happened and what's going to is going to. It's like you're watching it unfold through a window and you can't do anything about it.... I dunno. Great job!

on Jul. 11 2010 at 2:45 pm
givemetherapy SILVER, Mount Vernon, Ohio

"Hope is what you cling to when reality has left you with nothing else."

wow, i loved this.

LastChapter said...
on Jul. 10 2010 at 4:37 pm
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

raw. straight forward. you really out it out there, not hiding it behind kind words of encouragement, or a promise that she would get better, that everything would b ok. i loved it.

on Jul. 10 2010 at 12:59 am
when_we_were_thieves GOLD, Boise, Idaho
this is good, really good.

on Jul. 9 2010 at 9:03 pm
PussnBoots GOLD, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

"When life hands you lemons, make apple juice. Then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it." -Unknown
"The world is my pineapple. I just have to figure out a way past the prickly parts." -Me

I like the way you wrote this. It leaves enough to our imagination to let people wonder, but you give enough emotion to it so we all aren't completely clueless. Keep writing!

Shelly-T GOLD said...
on Jul. 9 2010 at 8:29 pm
Shelly-T GOLD, Romeoville, Illinois
this is powerful

on Jul. 9 2010 at 7:21 pm
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

this is a really great story, I love the huge meaning that went into such a short piece. Amazing!

on Jul. 9 2010 at 6:33 pm
queenofspades PLATINUM, Bennington, Vermont

you know when your in love when you can't fall asleep at night because reality is finally better then your dreams~ Dr. Seuss

thats a really heartfelt meaningful story!

i loved it!

i would be really greatful if you checked out some ofmy work!          thanks :)