University of Delaware | Teen Ink

University of Delaware MAG

Newark, DE: Taking the time to find the college that suits you is well worth it. For me, the perfect choice was the University of Delaware. When I visited the campus, I was instantly aware that it was right for me.

Location is an important consideration when choosing a college and the University of Delaware has both rural and urban elements. The campus is two hours from both New York City and Washington, D.C., while Baltimore and Philadelphia are even closer. Even though the gorgeous campus is surrounded by farmland, the beach is an hour away and there’s a mall right next door. I found the greenery and architecture interesting and appealing.

A state school, the university offers over 100 majors including Agriculture and Natural Resources; Arts and Sciences; Business and Economics; Engineering; Health Sciences; Human Services; Education and Public Policy; and Marine Studies. With so many offerings, the school is a wise choice for both students with a decided major and those who are not sure. In addition, the university has an honors program that focuses on extremely motivated students who wish to be challenged to their maximum intellectual capability. Although admission requirements to this program are high, any University of Delaware student with a GPA of 3.0 can participate in honors courses.

Furthermore, there are a number of sports and activities to participate in. The university teams include baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer and lacrosse, and with over 15,000 undergrads, Delaware can also offer rowing, cross country, golf, indoor and outdoor track and field, swimming and diving, tennis, volleyball, cheerleading and more. The large number of students allows the teams to choose the best athletes, which increases their overall performance and makes the University of Delaware a strong competitor.

The dining and housing situations are customized and affordable. There are over 18 dining locations which means students are never more than a five-minute walk from food. Furthermore, it offers a variety to satisfy anyone from vegetarians to those requiring kosher meals. The dining plans include a mix of meals from the dining halls and points that can be used at other on-campus food services.

In terms of housing, the University of Delaware includes on-campus residency halls, apartments, and off-campus locations. Residence halls are located on all five University of Delaware campuses. Since it is a state school options are affordable and need-based financial aid is available.

Any student who is at a loss as to where to apply should consider the University of Delaware. It has so much to offer, including affordability and variety. My advice is to take the time to visit because, trust me, one visit can make the decision for you. Find out more at udel.edu.

i love this !

larak127 BRONZE, Merrick, New York
Do you know if you can enter the honors program as an incoming freshman?