Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars

While Sara Shepard's books, the Pretty Little Lair series, was both jaw dropping, filled with details, and a very suspenseful book, the TV show lacked to incorporate many of the key details the books did. For instance, one of the main characters Emily, is a strawberry blond competitive swimmer, and therefore has a tint of green in her hair. However in the TV show, the creators put Emily as a dark brunette, obviously lacking the signature green tint. Another point worth motioning, is another main character, Spencer's, hair color, and appearance. Spencer was made in the book to have long blond hair, just like her best friend Alison ( who was murdered in this series). It is known if you read the books, that Spencer and Alison shared a lot of physical traits, and they always had a competition for who had more boyfriends, who was a better sports player, ect. However in the show, the creators showed Spencer as a again a dark brunette who appeared to look a lot more serious than she sounded in the book. Also she looked a lot like her sister Melissa. If you did not read the books, but just saw the show you are most likely thinking that sisters should look alike. You are right but Spencer is not Melissa's true sister. In one the books Spencer goes through a whole crisis where she finds her real mother, and then see's why it is she doesn't look like the rest of her family. This little key detail of her hair color leads into a big part in the story. It is little key details like these that lead me to say that the creators of the Pretty Little Liars TV show did not do a very nice job of recreating the characters to the best of their ability. However, they did do a great job in recreating the settings that this story takes place. It will be interesting where the TV show goes from here.

I loved the Pretty Little Liars novels and so I was super excited to see the TV show. I hope more people read the books or see the TV show and see all the gripping suspention,and the hard to put down story that these books gave me.

blogergirl21 said...
on Mar. 5 2012 at 9:13 am
blogergirl21, Onidea, New York

Smile and Enjoy Life.

Can't wait for tonights showing of the show!!!!!! (:

blogergirl21 said...
on Mar. 1 2012 at 12:24 pm
blogergirl21, Onidea, New York

Smile and Enjoy Life.

LOVE this Sooooooo much and it is so true the book in a series is alwalys better!!!!!(:

dmoskowitz said...
on Jan. 2 2012 at 3:47 pm
dmoskowitz, Lumberton, New Jersey

"Nobody gives you a manual that says, 'This is what's going to happen and this is what you should do and this is how you're going to do it.' I think you just have to kind of handle it in your way." Selena Gomez
"Never Say Never." JBiebs

This is my guilty pleasure show! I only read one of the books but I like the show better!

M-star BRONZE said...
on Aug. 19 2011 at 12:22 am
M-star BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan

"Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you."- Richard Brinsley Sheridan

This piece is really good! I must say, the books are amazing! I like the TV show, too. I think the thing is with casting actresses and actors, they don't find the exact type as portrayed in the books. So the little details such as hair color might get left out. The casting committee just wants people who can act good and sometimes it hard to find those types while making sure they fit their described appearances.

on Aug. 12 2011 at 3:43 pm
JezzaRae BRONZE, Atglen, Pennsylvania

"Guided by the Lonely Star,
Byond the utmost harbor-bar,
I'll find the heavens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea."
- J.R.R Tolkien

I agree totally but in my opinion i like the tv show better. The books were all pretty much the same and i have no idea why she wrote another one in the series. Even though the tv show is pretty much nothing like the books i still like it better.

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:10 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

yeah i know i read the books as well...the books are so much better!! haha

crglv said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 8:35 pm
Melissa is actually Spencer's sister. Just to clarify. I finished the book series and what it actually is that Spencer's mom was not able to have kids and so they got someone else to carry Spencer. She is therefore related to Melissa and just had someone else carry her before she was born.

kaylajpg said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 8:20 am
kaylajpg, No, New York

"The worst things in life come free to us" - Ed Sheeran

i read some of the books too and there amazing.well, beyond amazing. but i know who the killer is and its an amazing ending. and twist :)

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 8:27 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

i agree. i liked the books but the tv show isnt bad (:

on Jan. 26 2011 at 5:28 pm
dolphinluver12, Berlin, Massachusetts
ah yes that is a helpful hint.... i like the books a bit better than the tv show but the tv show is still really good because of its suspense

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 25 2010 at 9:14 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

the first book is just called pretty little liars. Pretty little liars has a website so check it out they have the order of the books.

Valery5 said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 1:30 pm
Valery5, Riverside, California

"What's bad for your heart is good for your art."

any chance somebody can tell me whats the first book called....so i can start reading :) plz :)

Valery5 said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 1:29 pm
Valery5, Riverside, California

Well I love the show! but i've never read the books hmmmm....maybe I should start reading, but the show rocks that's all i gotta say.

Katrselyn said...
on Aug. 11 2010 at 2:58 pm
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois

:)

MONA!!!!! D:

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 11 2010 at 10:50 am
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

We do find out who killed her but its not the real person.  but yaa ur welcome. (:

Katrselyn said...
on Aug. 10 2010 at 9:15 am
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois
oh ya! my best friend she read them, she told me about it, She didn't get to all the books. My other friend read them, she had a twin courtney who was like mental and prented to be ali, and the real ali came back and killed her. I sort of think dat could've happened in da show but yet no. Anyway.. thanks for tlakin xD marathon on tonight followed by the new ep WE FIND OUT WHO KILLED HER!!!!!!

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 8:43 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

i'll give you a hint.

Allison killed Allison.

But it was'nt suicide.

Katrselyn said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 10:58 am
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois
who killed her? in da bok wasnt it mona? just tell me it wont spoil it.

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 8 2010 at 4:54 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

I read all the books, and loved them soo much!! The killer's not who u think (:

liv16 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 8 2010 at 4:53 pm
liv16 BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

nothings impossible.

I don't want to tell you. (: but like i said its not who think it is. and yes they did change the tv alot from book. I personally liked the books alot more.