Pepperdine University | Teen Ink

Pepperdine University MAG

Malibu, CA: Pepperdine University is carved out of a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. A first-time visitor cannot help but be stunned by the beauty of the campus and unbelievable weather. Behind the aesthetic appeal of Pepperdine are prestigious academics, Christian values and endless opportunities for students.

Pepperdine’s students are encouraged to travel abroad through one of many programs in Europe and South America. The campus is state-of-the-art, complete with a new TV and radio studio, theaters and renovated science labs. In the classroom, students enjoy a 12:1 student-teacher ratio with no classes taught by teaching assistants.

With only 3,000 undergraduates, Pepperdine has an intimate feel. Freshmen bond from the moment they step on campus in the immaculate dorms, ranked number one by “The Princeton Review.” Students are rarely bored, with Los Angeles only 30 minutes away, and on the weekends Pepperdine empties out.

As for organizations, Pepperdine has an array of clubs and a very strong Greek system. Pepperdine athletics have many successful programs, the most popular being men’s basketball. Students come out to many of the games in the small gymnasium, where there isn’t a bad seat in the house.

The main complaint from Pepperdine students is that they feel like there is a bubble around the school. After all, Malibu is secluded from Los Angeles and provides a “get-away” for celebrities who aren’t fond of rowdy college students. For students who live on-campus, it can feel like a summer camp with strict drinking regulations, an over-zealous Public Safety department, and curfew for the opposite sex in your dorm. It is also extremely expensive, with one year’s tuition, room and board coming to $40,000.

When it comes down to it, though, there seems to be a warm feeling on campus. The fact that Pepperdine seeks only the finest professors shows in the quality of classes and overall experience for the students. The “Pepperdine Experience” leaves students with a great world view, strong spirituality, and a sacred bond with every alumni of this great school. To learn more, see pepperdine.edu

Reviewed in 2005

i love this !